Views
Helpful
Replies

Device grouping in CSPC

NestleAM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there a way to group devices in CSPC? For example, we have a network devices and a group of Data Center devices. I would like to group all the data center devices into a separate group for ease of accessibility and distinction. 

I tried for dynamic device grouping and found IP address based filter as best suitable for our environment. However, our environment has more than one IP subnet ranges for the global data centers.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I took look a the CSPC collector and there are two options:

1- from the collection profiles which they define what data to collect, FROM WHAT DEVICES that data needs to be collected and how
often the data needs to be collected. Which means you could have various collection profiles for various groups of devices.

2- device grouping, which the guide states: Device Groups option is used for Adding, Modifying or Deleting device groups.

There are certain default system generated groups in CSPC. In addition, if you want to create device groups, then you can
use these settings. Device groups can be Static or Dynamic. In static device groups you have to manually
select the devices that are part of a given group. In dynamic group you will define a criterion and all
devices that match the criterion (either currently managed or not) will automatically appear in this
group.

and as for the portal, the best way to tackle this would be to via segments, which is used to segment networks using criteria such as location, host names ect.

here is a link with a video that explains it in further detail, croll to the one that is titled Administration, right beside it you will find a list of videos, click on the one that says network segmentation;

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/services/sntc-portal/video-resources.html#adminOverview

you can choose either of those or a combination that best suits you, also here is the document guide on the CSPC collector in case you need it; https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/support/docs/cloud-systems-management/common-services-platform-collector-cspc/CSPC-User-Guide.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

juanfsan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi NestleAM,

I would like to ask were would you like this differentiation to take place? in the portal or in the CSPC?

Primarily in the CSPC, and if possible in SNTC portal

I took look a the CSPC collector and there are two options:

1- from the collection profiles which they define what data to collect, FROM WHAT DEVICES that data needs to be collected and how
often the data needs to be collected. Which means you could have various collection profiles for various groups of devices.

2- device grouping, which the guide states: Device Groups option is used for Adding, Modifying or Deleting device groups.

There are certain default system generated groups in CSPC. In addition, if you want to create device groups, then you can
use these settings. Device groups can be Static or Dynamic. In static device groups you have to manually
select the devices that are part of a given group. In dynamic group you will define a criterion and all
devices that match the criterion (either currently managed or not) will automatically appear in this
group.

and as for the portal, the best way to tackle this would be to via segments, which is used to segment networks using criteria such as location, host names ect.

here is a link with a video that explains it in further detail, croll to the one that is titled Administration, right beside it you will find a list of videos, click on the one that says network segmentation;

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/services/sntc-portal/video-resources.html#adminOverview

you can choose either of those or a combination that best suits you, also here is the document guide on the CSPC collector in case you need it; https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/support/docs/cloud-systems-management/common-services-platform-collector-cspc/CSPC-User-Guide.pdf

Thanks for your detailed explaination and insight. The first part (CSPC device grouping) has been done. I will it a try for the segmentation in SNTC portal. 

Thanks!