Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1001-HX Upgrade Procedure 1 RP

joeldoetsch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I have a couple of ASR 1001-HX devices, each with only 1 RP.  I've been trying find documentation on how to perform an upgrade (going from 16.9.5 to 17.3.4), but all the documentation seems to point to ISSU, which as far as I can tell is not possible without 2 RPs.

Is there a documented procedure similar to those of the past, where I simply pull the new image to the device, change the bootflash variable, and reload?  I so far have been unable to find a non-issu upgrade procedure in Cisco's documentation.

Thanks in advance,
Joel Doetsch

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/software/configuration/xe-17/asr1000-sw-config-xe-17/issu-asr.html#task_1292571

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi Marce,

That's the same document I've been finding for upgrades, but unfortunately it does not seem to apply to my situation.  From documentation: "Consolidated packages can only be upgraded using ISSU in dual Route Processor configurations. ISSU is not supported for consolidated package upgrades in single Route Processor configurations."

We are running with a singer Route Processor configuration.  Unless I'm missing something, that means we can't use ISSU.  Looking for the method for upgrade that doesn't involve ISSU. 

Thanks,
Joel Doetsch

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a read of this document:  Cisco ISR & ASR 1k Routers: IOS-XE/Firmware Upgrade (Install Mode)

Hope this helps.

This is an incredibly useful document, and I'll be bookmarking it.

Thanks so much for writing that up!

Cheers,
Joel Doetsch

Thanks, @joeldoetsch

I have another one Cisco 3850: IOS-XE/Firmware Upgrade.

Two more are waiting to be published and they are for the 9300 and 9500. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card