cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Tandberg E20 TE2.1.0 to TE4.1.0. To encrypt or not to encrypt?

stepnharp
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I am CCNP, but a VOIP newbie, just took a new job.  Therefore first VOIP LAN.

I have upgraded my LAN using WS-C3560X switches.  I am upgrading 60 Tandberg E20 Video Phones from TE2.1.0 to TE4.1.0 due to the E20 not finding the voice vlan.

I am using Avaya S8800 Server CM 5.2.1, with Avaya Phones model 9640D01A-1009 and Tandberg model E20 Video phones.

I am trying to decide which software to use; with encryption or without encryption.

Cisco E20              Software 

AES Encryption      s52100te4_1_1.pkg

No Encryption         s52101tenc4_1_1.pkg

Q1.  What is being encrypted?  Voice Traffic is the obvious answer to this, right?

Q2.  What device is on the other end of the encryption?  CM or Phone

Q3.  Since the call will go outside of my Avaya CM (ie. call to the outside world), does encryption matter?

Thanks for your time and effort.

Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marius Nedregaard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi.

AES Encryption      s52100te4_1_1.pkg Is for countries where AES encryption are allowed.

No Encryption         s52101tenc4_1_1.pkg is for countries where VOIP encryption is not allowed by law.

You only have a release key for one of them, so there is really no choice.

You can chose to disable encryption on the TE4 version(so it will have the same function as the TENC4), but you are not able to activate any encryption on the TENC4.

Encryption on TE4 is disabled by default anyway, so the different software versions are there just for legal matter.

Q1: Call setup, and RTP stream can be configured to be encrypted on TE4.

Q2: Endpoint or interop device

Q3: It depends if your Avaya CM supports encryption or not.

Thanks

//Marius

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marius Nedregaard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi.

AES Encryption      s52100te4_1_1.pkg Is for countries where AES encryption are allowed.

No Encryption         s52101tenc4_1_1.pkg is for countries where VOIP encryption is not allowed by law.

You only have a release key for one of them, so there is really no choice.

You can chose to disable encryption on the TE4 version(so it will have the same function as the TENC4), but you are not able to activate any encryption on the TENC4.

Encryption on TE4 is disabled by default anyway, so the different software versions are there just for legal matter.

Q1: Call setup, and RTP stream can be configured to be encrypted on TE4.

Q2: Endpoint or interop device

Q3: It depends if your Avaya CM supports encryption or not.

Thanks

//Marius

Marius, Thanks for your input.