cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Update Firmware Cisco IP Phone CP-8851

wood1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I want to update the firmware on my CP-8851but it doesn´t work as described in the different guides.
acctually my main objective was to connect my CP-8851 through placetel, but as this didnt wanted to work so I asumed the former owner erased everything from it and now it need the Multiplatform Firmware and don´t understand what im making wrong.
thanks for th

7 Replies 7

Hi,

To make Cisco IP phone work with third party Call Control , you need an MPP Firmware and 3pcc license if you are converting the phone from a CUCM controlled phone to a 3PCC phone.

Please let me know

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

To change the firmware on the phone follow this guide. Convert Cisco 7800 and 8800 series IP phones between Enterprise and MPP Firmware 

Response Signature

For more reference, please find the below video which explain Phone Firmware convert to MPP: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSd-SeWRgwQ

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A known working 78xx & 88xx SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml (Enterprise firmware) compatible with non-Cisco call manager can be found HERE.

The phone model you mentioned in the original post has two types of firmware: Multiplatform Firmware (MPP) and Enterprise. The MPP firmware versions are designed to work with third-party platforms like Asterisk, Centile, and Cisco Webex Calling. The Enterprise firmware versions are designed to work with Cisco’s CUCM.

In your case, if you are using an Enterprise firmware version, you need to convert it to an MPP version as other peers suggested in their replies. This conversion is not a free process, it requires a license. The other option if you don’t want to buy a license is to try the solution from @Leo Laohoo .

You can find out if the firmware is Enterprise or MPP by looking at the load name. The Enterprise firmware versions have SIP in the name, while the MPP firmware versions have 3MPP in the name. For example:

Enterprise: cmterm-88xx-sip.
MPP: cmterm-88xx.12-0-3MPP0001

Response Signature

wood1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all the great suggestions, sadly im not smart enough for the github method, and anlong the normal way I ran in to a problem, if I understood the Documentation right, I need a licencen for each phone, but I can´t find anyway to purchas such a licencens anywhere, and don´t know if it´s even worth it, what does such a licence cost?

In the link I shared this is outlined for the two eligible phone models.

image.png

image.png

image.png

You need to have one of these per device that you want to convert. These are procured from a Cisco partner.

Response Signature