cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleting an account on Duo

Momosingh
Level 1
Level 1

My husband bought me a new phone . I have turned off the authentication app on my instagram .

I would like to delete the account on my old phone on the Duo mobile app that was connected. If I click “delete” the account on my old phone on the Duo app, and reinstall the app it on my new phone will I get logged out of my instagram account even though I disabled the authentication app on instagram . Can I just delete the duo app completely after removing the accounts ?

My daughter set it up for me and she is not at home to help me at the moment.

9 Replies 9

timshores1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Momo, thank you for posting. Before anything I recommend that you review this Duo guide. It walks you through how to backup and recover third-party accounts on Duo Mobile.

You may also review this general Duo community announcement with resources about third-party accounts in Duo Mobile.

A good backup plan would be to have a recovery code for your Instagram account, and to back up your third-party accounts in Duo Mobile using Duo Restore for Third-Party Accounts, per the above documentation.

At Duo, we’re unable to confirm whether you’ve disabled multifactor authentication in Instagram, and we’re unable to help regain access to your social media accounts. I suggest reviewing the above documentation and working with someone who can provide hands-on support if you’re unsure.

Momosingh
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Tim !

If I remove an account on the app , what would happen. I want to delete Duo Mobile.

I want to remove my account on the app . I have turned off the authentication app on instagram and it is not longer linked.

May I delete the account on my duo mobile. Does it affect the account even though they are not linked?

My husband was reading on some article called " Duo Restore for iOS"

Hi Momo,

For any third-party account that you’re protecting with Duo Mobile, including Instagram, you can do the following:

1. Disable 2FA in Instagram (or other third-party accounts)
  2. Create an Instagram recovery code just in case
  3. In Duo Mobile on the old phone, delete Instagram (or other third-party accounts). Or you can just uninstall Duo Mobile on the old phone.

In other words, once you have disabled 2FA in your personal Instagram account, Duo Mobile will no longer affect your access to Instagram.

Tim

Momosingh
Level 1
Level 1

Goodness me !

Thank you so much Tim , you are so helpful

So do I click this on the duo app on my old iphone regarding step 3 ?

Yep! That looks correct for iPhone. You’ll also find a helpful picture here:

https://help.duo.com/s/article/4224

Momosingh
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so much Tim , God bless you !

After complete all steps , I can wipe erase my phone before giving it . I want to give my old phone to my nephew .

So after all steps you have listed are done , I can proceed with erasing my iphone such even deleting the duo mobile app in the process ?

Yes, that’s correct. After these steps, Duo Mobile on your old iPhone is no longer connected to your Instagram account. Confirm you’re able to log into Instagram on your new iPhone. You may even want to try reestablishing Duo Mobile on your new iPhone, with 2FA for Instagram, for peace of mind and better security.

Momosingh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tim

Yes I am logged onto my instagram on my new phone. I did the IOS transfer from old iphone to new iphone and its logged on .

I will definitely do that , I will ask my daughter to set it up DUO mobile for me on my new phone . Nowadays you have to be really protective…

So I can proceed with the steps you have mentioned?

Quick Links