Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to move APs from 5500 WLC to 9800??

I'm trying to join a 2800 series to a 9800 on a 5500 controller.

I changed the controller IP with capwap ap primary-base command in AP.

But APs is not moved from 5500 to 9800.

Do you need additional work??

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Try  save the config on the AP and reboot it manually , check if that can help. For an overview of the migration process review : https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2020/pdf/DGTL-BRKEWN-2004.pdf , look for AireOS to C9800 migration – moving APs  , in the document.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I've already done several migrations.

However, the capwap ap primary-base command does not move the AP from 5500 to 9800.

One way is to shut down the 5500's interface.

If there is only one 9800 WLC on the same subnet, the migration will succeed.

However, this method cannot be used if you want to migrate each AP individually.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

I've done several migrations and it only worked for me to "clear ap config" on the Aironet side.

As AP does not need any piece of config from legacy Aireos, it's better to clear it off, the AP would rebot and you can drive it to C9800 setting DHCP Option 43 to point only to it (or add specific Options 43 on every subnet).

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

any 2800s joined 9800?

9800 version and is it physical or virtual

what version on 5500

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

9800 appliance

5508 version 8.5.140.0

I am on a project that we are able to successfully have a 2802 AP to join a virtual 9800. What we noticed is that once the 2802 has joined and its OS updated, it is not rejoining the 5508 WLC. Are there any high-level suggestions to this?

@louis.angeles  Note that usually then the AP IOS-XE (9800) based image then is no longer backwards compatible with aireos controllers and downgrading-backwards-moving-to-the-5508 becomes impossible , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi,

APs model and WLCs version?

AIR-AP1852I-K-K9

5508 version 8.5.140.0

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card