Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practices: Link to another office, via ridge

jeff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have another office which does not have line of sight from our office. We have good line of sight from both offices to a ridge. From Office one to ridge is 4.14 miles, and from ridge to office two is 2.94 miles.

We have four Cisco Bridge 500, each leg is served by a seperate set of bridges, different SSID's. Each leg is connected via cat5. Bridge one (root) is at office one, bridge two at the ridge, bridge three (root) at the ridge, and bridge four at office two.

Question: Is this the best method of connecting the remote office for maximum throughput? I understood have two seperate legs is better than having three bridges, since a bridge isn't functioning as a repeater.

We also have connected two homes to the root bridge on the ridge, . Max distance is 4.32 miles. Would it be best to connect these homes to a third SSID/bridge (root) on the ridge, in order to maintain maximum throughput from the remote office? While these homes would compete for bandwidth from office one to the ridge, with a third bridge on the ridge, it would seem they wouldn't compete for the traffic on the remote office bridge. Do we gain anything by not having them compete for the remote office bridge?

If we used a third SSID/bridge, I could replace the omni antenna on the ridge root with a parabolic grid (or a dish) for the connection to office two (all other antennas between office one and two are either dish or parabolic grid). Would I be correct in assuming this would significantly increase throughput from office two to office one?

Lot's of questions, thanks for any and all answers. We are a small business and at times wish I could specialize, instead of being a jack of all trades.

Thanks, thanks, thanks,

Jeff

1 Reply 1

ebreniz
Level 6
Level 6

I suggest you can add a repeater to increase your range. All bridges form a flat network .

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card