Views
Helpful
Replies

ap flex mode

bluesea2010
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I don't have  L2 adjacency between core  because the connection between core is layer 3 . 

Since there is no  L2 adjacency between core  , I have to create SVI'S only on one core .

So the other option  is to create svi's on wlc. As per cisco it is not recommended . 

What if I choose ap's in flex mode

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You're going to have to explain your topology and what you're trying to achieve better.  A diagram might help.

More generally you can configure SVI on WLC but that creates various potential security issues.  In fact certain features require SVI.  You can always put APs in flex mode if you want to but it's not clear what you're hoping to achieve by doing that.  Maybe you mean so that you can use flex local switching but again that really depends on your topology and what your requirements are.

Hi @Rich R 

Below is the topology. in all the sites  between core 1 and  core 2  there is no layer 2 adjacency .

So if I do a Layer 2 connection between core and wlc (trunk) and the svi's on core

eg:
core 1

ssid staff

10.0.2.1/24

ssid guest

10.0.3.1/24

and core 1 fail , I wont be able to reach the gateway

So My question is if I am using flex mode , can I create the ssid'd gateway in the edge switches

And can you please brief what are the security issues may face if the svi's are on wlc 

Thanks

WLC-new.jpg

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card