cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Am I able to set these WAPS without a LAN controller?

sucree01
Level 1
Level 1

AIR-CAP2702I-B-K9

I am in a position where I can get 3 for $30

Unfortunately I don’t have a LAN controller but I do have a Cisco 2851 router if that helps?

My current router is dying on me and can barely push out a stable connection and I would like to install these WAPs instead, would I be able to set them up in different rooms without having them connected directly to the router?

Apart from this I also do have an

AIR-CAP3702E-A-K9 I believe I can set this one up directly with my router, at least that’s what the guy who sold it to me said.

I bought a CCNA starter kit for $120 that came with 2x 2960 switches 1x 2851 router 1x AIR-CAP3702E-A-K9 WAP

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Same answer as what the others have stated in the other forum:  Yes, the AP can operate in autonomous or vWLC.  It all depends on how much effort you want to do and what you are trying to accomplish.  

The AP, however, will never replace your router.  For example, an AP will never do NAT.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

adding to other post :

AP can act as a controller (in Old AP models - Mobility express) -  your model you mentioned do not have that capability as per I know.

Only below models mentioned can be ME :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/mobility-express/q-and-a-c67-734485.html

Note: as mentioned some limitations are always applicable.

If you looking to buy new Cat 9K Ap for Longer run, they run EWC - check below guide also check the compatible matrix what AP can that be supported :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you plan on buying this, make sure the apps come with antennas.  The AIR-CAP3702E-A-K9 you see the "E", that means it requires an external antenna.  Make sure the seller also puts the code version you want.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

> would I be able to set them up in different rooms without having them connected directly to the router?
Generally you would aim to cable the APs back to source (the router and/or switches).  If you want to do it wirelessly then you're talking about mesh (if you have a WLC) or configuring them as repeaters (autonomous) - both methods you're losing a certain amount of bandwidth with every hop.  If you don't want to run cables then consider using powerline adapters - results will vary depending on which product you use and your home wiring.

How do you plan to power the APs? Hint: the AP's ethernet cable usually provides PoE to the AP from a PoE capable switch.  If you don't use PoE then you'll need a power injector or DC power supply for each AP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card