cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 WLC - how to remove AP secondary WLC configuration in HA via cli

jeffreyw44712
Level 1
Level 1

So we all know how to add primary and secondary WLC in the HA setting of an AP, by command line or GUI, for AireOS and the 9800. My question is - how do we remove the secondary WLC at the AP-HA level by cli?

The scenario is I have 100 APs at a site with primary and secondary WLC hard coded. Now the secondary WLC has to be taken out. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In AireOS, using the CLI, you have to configure a bogus entry. Only in the GUI can you actually remove the entry, but the bogus is okay as it doesn't do anything but gets you what you want.

config ap secondary-base "  " <AP Hostname> 0.0.0.0

For the 9800, you can use the following:

ap name <AP Hostname> no controller secondary clear
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

remove via WLC primary CLI or from AP CLI ?

MHM

from primary WLC cli, I don't want to touch all 100 APs

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In AireOS, using the CLI, you have to configure a bogus entry. Only in the GUI can you actually remove the entry, but the bogus is okay as it doesn't do anything but gets you what you want.

config ap secondary-base "  " <AP Hostname> 0.0.0.0

For the 9800, you can use the following:

ap name <AP Hostname> no controller secondary clear
-Scott

@Scott Fella >           ap name <AP Hostname> no controller secondary clear 

I couldn't repeat this command on my test environment (IOS-XE 17.12.2) ; what seems to work is :
                                   ap name <AP Hostname> no controller secondary <WLC-hostname>  <WLC-ip>

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

marce1000 - I tested on codes 17.9.3 and 17.3.6. Both (...no controller secondary clear) and (...no controller secondary <WLC-Hostname> <WLC-IP>) worked.    If you use "?" it won't show "clear" as an option though.

I did also test all three and each worked. Using the clear seems simple.
-Scott

jeffreyw44712
Level 1
Level 1

Great, Scott! 

Sorry I didn't specify the code in the original question. On the WLC-9800 code 17.9.3 (the ones I have), it's 

ap name <AP Hostname> no controller secondary <WLC-Hostname> <WLC-IP>

Close enough! 

Glad that it got you close to what you want.  I'm on 17.12.2 in my home lab and it looks like the WLC IP is optional.  Have you tried it without the IP or is that mandatory on your version?

-Scott

you know what? your cli with "clear" actually works.

When I type "?" after "secondary" it prompts for Secondary controller name, and then prompts for IP address if followed by another "?"   Funny thing is it take "clear" without issues. 

Cool... makes it simple:)

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card