cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect VPN - update fqdn used to connect to VPN?

Antony Paul
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Wondering if someone can help me with the following.

We are moving datacenter and as a result our users will be required to connect to a new FQDN within their AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN Client.  The new FQDN points at a new Cisco ASA.

I have tried to update this automatically for my test account by deploying a profile xml file containing the new FQDN to C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile\

This has not worked as intended as the legacy FQDN is still showing.

Can anyone advise what the correct way to do this is?

I understand I could edit the profile on the legacy ASA to use the hostname of the new ASA but I am not sure if that is best practice or would even work as intended?

2019-03-04 18_26_48-Window.png

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Apart from what @Mike.Cifelli mentioned below, you also might need to delete the preferences file from the users machine. The preferences.xml file keeps the last successfully connected info cached. The file is located here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\preferences.xml

You can safely delete the above file after making changes to your local XML profile. Quit and restart your client. Once you do this, Anyconnect will only read the server address from the client xml profile. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Under the <HostEntry> tag you can modify your current PROFILE.xml file to test out your new setup.

<HostEntry>
<HostName>Change this to new host name you configured on new ASA</HostName>
<HostAddress>YOUR new VPN GW<Address>
<UserGroup>YOUR CLIENT PROFILE NAME on new ASA</UserGroup>
This is found in the location you mentioned above.

HTH!

Thanks very much both of you for your input - I am testing this shortly - much appreciated for pointing  me in the right direction.

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Apart from what @Mike.Cifelli mentioned below, you also might need to delete the preferences file from the users machine. The preferences.xml file keeps the last successfully connected info cached. The file is located here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\preferences.xml

You can safely delete the above file after making changes to your local XML profile. Quit and restart your client. Once you do this, Anyconnect will only read the server address from the client xml profile.