cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Update an vnic template from initial to updating

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We have a vnic template that was originally setup as a Initial Template by mistake, can this be changed to an updating template without issue?

We are also in the process of planning to migrate from a L2 disjointed deployment to a single VTP domain.  We are currently using Vlan Groups as well as PIN Groups, is there a best practices for this migration?  We currently have 2 L2 domains, corp and dc, the dc will survive and all vlans have been created in that environment.  We have one vlan that is currently in the corp L2 domain that we are testing with...our plan of action was to update the template (one Fab is updating and the other is the one that was mistakenly configured as initial), to remove it from the current corp vnic template and add it to the dc template, once this is completed remove it from the corp vlan group and add it to dc vlan group.  The rest of the migration would be done on the Vsphere side of the house (virtual switch modification).

When we attempted to change the vlan on vnic template that was set to intial we received the attached error, I have assumed the vlan mismatch is between the vlan group/portchannel and pin group/portchannel relationship...is the a correct assumption?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered...

Joe

4 Replies 4

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Joe

One cannot change an initial to an updating template (or vice versa)

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Like Walter says, there's not a direct option to convert from one to the other.

What you can do is create a SP from the template you like,,,you can then clone from SP to the template type of your choice,, and still carry over the various settings.  Once you have an updating template that essential mirrors the same settings as your original initial template, you can rebind that to your SPs.

Kirk...

After you have cloned the template with the same settings, except for it now being an updating template, will binding the new vnic template to the SP reboot anything and cause service disruption?

Thanks,

Nate

jadkins
Level 1
Level 1

I realize this is an old topic, but I just ran across it and I have the same question that was left unanswered here.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card