cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NEW UCS C220 M6S loud

AdamG73545
Level 1
Level 1

Be6-M4 is way quieter than BE6-M6 - fans are spinning kind of loud. Is that server designed in that way or I would expect DOA since its a brand-new server? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can choose from four fan policy options for UCS C-Series Servers: Low Power, Balanced, High Power, and Maximum Power. To access this setting, go to CIMC UI > Compute > Power Policies.

It seems that the new servers come with the High Power policy, which causes the fan to spin faster and make noise. This is not normal if the fan is on low power. If the fan is spinning faster on low mode, something might be wrong.

I recently worked on a Be7k-M6 where the customer complained about the fan speed. The fan speed was set to High Power by default for these servers.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

You can choose from four fan policy options for UCS C-Series Servers: Low Power, Balanced, High Power, and Maximum Power. To access this setting, go to CIMC UI > Compute > Power Policies.

It seems that the new servers come with the High Power policy, which causes the fan to spin faster and make noise. This is not normal if the fan is on low power. If the fan is spinning faster on low mode, something might be wrong.

I recently worked on a Be7k-M6 where the customer complained about the fan speed. The fan speed was set to High Power by default for these servers.

Response Signature

INDEED !!!! MAXIMUM POWER was enabled, I changed it to low power - server room temp is 64F 

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There were a few early M5/M6 CIMC CDETs which caused fans to spin faster than needed.
What version of CIMC and what PCI cards are installed?
Does this issue continue after upgrading to the latest CIMC firmware which BE6-M6 supports?

Many of the old CDETs were due to unknown PCI devices which CIMC would assume needed **more cooling** so the fans would spin up.

Would love to take a peek at the CIMC logs to know **why** CIMC is deciding to spin the fans up.
Feel free to attach a CIMC log bundle to this post, or email me directly (sttardy@cisco.com).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card