Replies

Changing IP pools for Cisco ucs 5108

Hello Bros'

I have a question regarding Cisco UCS system with specs as mentioned below:

UCS manager 3.1(3b)

Chassis 5108

Ucs FI 6248up

IO module 2208xp

Due to creticality I wanted to consult you regarding changing the IP addressing used in the management and the ip pools in this UCS system to a new IP range.

I went through the software menus and found that the used IP pools in the LAN tab plus the fabric interconnect, a and b, and their Virtual ip addresses too will need to be changed to the new selected range.

Currently no production services on this system and we are configuring it to host another services which requires to change these IPs.

Am I correct in the IPs that needs to be changed? Any recommendations when changing the IPs or links?

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco UCS Manager Administration Management Guide 4.2 :: Chapter: Setting the Management IP Address 

Sounds like these IPs need to change based on your scenario.

The steps I would do are:

1. Removing existing UCS IP pools used for server/CIMC access.
  2. Change UCSM FI-A, FI-B, and cluster settings (IPs/Subnet/Gateway), which will cause you to loose connection to UCSM.
  3. Change FI OOB management port upstream switchports to new VLAN.
  4. Log back into UCSM new cluster IP address.
  5. Create new UCS IP pools for server/CIMC access.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco UCS Manager Administration Management Guide 4.2 :: Chapter: Setting the Management IP Address 

Sounds like these IPs need to change based on your scenario.

The steps I would do are:

1. Removing existing UCS IP pools used for server/CIMC access.
  2. Change UCSM FI-A, FI-B, and cluster settings (IPs/Subnet/Gateway), which will cause you to loose connection to UCSM.
  3. Change FI OOB management port upstream switchports to new VLAN.
  4. Log back into UCSM new cluster IP address.
  5. Create new UCS IP pools for server/CIMC access.

Thank you so much Steven for your response.

But, In step 3 you,ve mentioned OOB "isnt it supposed to be in the Step 2, the 1gig port in each FI node, cluster settings ? , and step 3 is the data link to network switch side? layer 2 trunks in my case.

sorry, but wanted to confirm, and thank you again Bro.

I was only talking about the 1G management port on each FI and NOT the FI uplink/data ports.

You can't change the IP after changing the upstream VLAN as you wouldn't have access (well I guess maybe serial console).
Change the furthest away thing and work toward you.
So change the IP of the device, then change the VLAN the device management port connects to.

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card