cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Room Kit EQ Serial Port Control Issues

davidking112
Level 1
Level 1

I have two room kit EQ units with a USB to serial port adapter. This is connected to a Crestron controller via RS232. I am not getting RX response from the codec. The user LOGIN REQUIRED has been tested with ON/OFF. The baud rate and settings have been test. The USB to RS232 adapter works fine on a computer. But when connecting to the Room Kit EQ the TX signal is sent but it appears that the unit is not communicating via USB. Any suggestions?

11 Replies 11

cbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get this resolved with the EQ?

Not yet no

goran202
Level 1
Level 1

Same situation here. It seems that the codec is not sending any signal to the AMX controller. We are connected to the controller via USB A to RS232 DB9 adapter. 

We had to abandon rs232 and use ssh. Even Cisco couldn’t help us

Not all USB-Serial adaptors are the same.  In earlier versions of the release notes, Cisco recommended using a UC232R-10 USB to RS232 (FTDI) adaptor for the best compatibility and reliability.

Although, serial is becoming a thing of the past - there are more modern ways of communicating with the codec such as Websockets.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

The ftdi is the one we used please reference case #

##- Please type your reply above this line -#
6b68eb00<>

David King
(303) 359-4529
Sent from my mobile device
https://www.facebook.com/KingSystemsLLC<>

goran202
Level 1
Level 1

Not all USB-Serial adaptors are the same.  In earlier versions of the release notes, Cisco recommended using a UC232R-10 USB to RS232 (FTDI) adaptor for the best compatibility and reliability.

Although, serial is becoming a thing of the past - there are more modern ways of communicating with the codec such as Websockets.

Yes i read about it. In the meantime, we tested the cable on an identical controller and with identical settings, the only difference being the codec (CS-CODEC-PLUS-K9). Everything works just fine. I can conclude that the cable is suitable unless Cisco made some change with EQ Codec series. 

Meanwhile we listened on the controller side and noticed the following: the Codec and the Controller do not communicate except for the initial request of the controller where it asks to log in to the Codec. After receiving the message that it has been successfully logged in, codec no longer sends any impulses to the controller! 

kelvin.blair
Level 5
Level 5

Following -  Having a similar issue with a BiAMP system connected via RS232 to USB and the RoomEQ not receiving the commands.  Has anyone been able to resolve and if so what was the solution?  I see someone notated using SSH instead.  If using SSH, how were you able to keep the connection alive?  I think from our testing, the connection would timeout and require re-authentication each time a command was sent. Since we are using this to trigger camera presets, it causes a delay on triggering the preset when you have to re-authenticate each time the zone to trigger changes.

Krishnamoorthy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Does anyone have a solution for this issue? I'm able to send a command from Crestron to kit EQ but I am not receiving feedback

kobrien86
Level 1
Level 1

We had this same issue with several sites this week. In our case, the issue was in the latest 11.14 Room OS release. There is a new "feature" that allows Outbound control of 3rd party devices. It must be turned OFF to allow control Inbound from a control processor. Hope this resolves it for others.