cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC bonjour setup, switch config

Jeremy Patrick
Level 1
Level 1

Wanted to ask about the switch component config for getting bonjour setup on a 2504 WLC.  

The guides I have come across so far keep saying that the switch portion needs to have ip pim dense mode configured.  But, the switch I have only has ip base installed, not ip services which I understand has the full ip pim optionset.  (3750E switch)

Can anyone give some advice on what can be done for the needed switch config in this scenario?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In order to get Multicast PIM working, you would need to purchase the IP services lincense.  With IP base the switch can only do IGMP.

HTH

yes well as I recall from searching that license is decently above the cost allowance of what I have to work with.  

Any other way of working with this given the limitations of ip base?

asigachev
Level 1
Level 1

Are you sure you need multicast on switch?

Have you checked this document on WLC Bonjour Gateway? http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/bonjour/7-5/Bonjour_Gateway_Phase-2_WLC_software_release_7-5.html#pgfId-44269

Not sure what your LAN looks like but if you can span the wired VLANs that host Bonjour services to the controller, I don't think you will need multicast anythere.

I would love to not have to worry about multicast on the switch.

I did follow that same link you mentioned but still couldn't get ios devices to see airprint.  So I did more searching and came across multiple posts of people mentioning the switch or routing device (all routing done on the 3750) needing config changes. 

The wlc unit is connected to a trunk on the 3750, all vlans allowed. 

Previously when all APs were in auto mode, I didn't have a problem but I also have the avahi Ubuntu gateway up and running. 

When you set up Bonjour GW on WLC did you see services registering on the WLC?

Actually I came across a post mentioning that cisco dropped bonjour gw support in 8.1. Does this sound familiar?

I never saw any option that specifically mentioned bonjour in the wlc config, but since the options and screenshots matched up I figured that was the options needed. 

If this is the case I'm wondering how exactly to configure the wlc to use the avahi gw. 

The thought that keeps bouncing around in my head is if airprint was working prior to the wlc being installed without switch changes then how is the wlc changing traffic to not allow it now.

Some progress to report.  I pulled down the 8.0.120 image and applied it.  I can now see an HP printer in the domain names area of mDNS, but I still can't see it under the browser.  

considering I wasn't able to see it at all under 8.1, I would think this is a step closer to figuring it out!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card