cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Recommendations for Small Business/Home Network (Gigabit, L3, POE Capable)

colombo01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on a 16 or 24 gigabit port L3 (managed) capable switch with POE.  The network layout is pretty simple (see attached diagram): Server, 1142 AP connected through the switch to a router/gateway.  I am wanting POE for the 1142 AP.  The primary reason I am wanting the L3 capable switch is so I can utilize VLAN's on the 1142 to provide an "internal" and "external" wireless network.  Any additional capabilities of the switch are a bonus.

I am not extremely fluent with Cisco's CLI, but have been able to cobble together the configurations I want on the 1142 AP with help from these forums and the internet.  I understand the budget for Cisco managed switches are certainly higher than unmanaged switches, but I'd prefer to not break the bank if I can avoid it.  I am not opposed to getting a used or refurbished switch if there is a particular model that better fits my needs.

Thanks
Josh

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You have a lot of choices when it comes to Cisco switches.  Since you only need one switch and no need for stacking a 3560x-24 POE should do the job for you.

Have a look at the data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3750-x-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

HTH

Thanks for the feedback, however looking over the specs/features and cost I think that may be a bit overkill for what I'm trying to do.  I'll take a look through the various information and switches from Cisco's site and see if I can narrow it down and get some specific feedback about particular models.

Thanks
Josh

What is your budget?  

Reza's answer is spot-on and you gave him a 3-star rating????  Not a smart move.  :P

If you want something cheaper and can do very limited Layer 3 then try 2960XR.

I meant no disrespect on the rating.  I guess I really don't want to spend more than $300 - $400.  I need to get a larger switch since I'm at capacity for my 8 port unmanaged switch, which was why I was looking at managed switches.  Honestly, I'm really only wanting a managed (layer 3) switch so I can isolate the guest wireless with VLAN's and have POE for the 1142 AP.  If I have to spend $1,000+ to do that I should probably rethink what I'm doing.  I'm sure the 3560x and 2960XR are great switches and have a lot of capabilities, but if I'm only using a small fraction of their capabilities then it doesn't make cost sense to go that route.  If there isn't any Cisco products in my price range with the features I'm looking for, feel free to tell me that.  I'll just have to see what else is out there or like I mentioned, rethink the guest internet access.

Thanks
Josh

A 24-port Layer 3 switch with GigabitEthernet for a budget of <$400?  

You won't be able to find one under Cisco.  If you can, you'll be need the savings to see a shrink because the features and functions will be severely restricted.  

Go to e-bay and search for the ongoing reselling price for a 3750G and you'll see how much they are worth (without any warranty from the manufacturer).

The SG300-28P I listed below is around AU$600 new.  I guess it also depends a bit what currency you're referring to...

I think I should have just started looking on eBay first.  Like I said....I don't mind buying something used.....and prices are much more affordable.

Thanks
Josh

eBay is fine as well. The only thing is that most items on eBay don't come with any support contract or warranty. As long as you don't need to upgrade the software and if hardware goes bad you just get another one eBay is fine.

HTH

I think I should have just started looking on eBay first.  Like I said....I don't mind buying something used.....and prices are much more affordable.

Caveat emptor.

For what you are doing there is no need for a layer 3 switch, keep the routing in the router. A 2960 will handle vlans just fine. If your just using 1 ap use a poe injector and save yourself alot of money. You should rethink your network, you could definitely do a lot more with a lot less then your currently going to be spending.

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

How about one of these?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg300-28p-28-port-gigabit-poe-managed-switch/model.html

Should fit your price and featureset requirements.  They can be web driven or CLI (the CLI is similar to but not identical to IOS).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card