Views
Helpful
Replies

SG110D restarts itself every few minutes

Stein26242
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I expand my network with a SG110D-05: from router to the switch and from switch two cables, one to tv and the second one to wlan-extender.

I noticed that the connection on the tv breaks off sporadically - usually only 1-2 seconds.

I pinged through the ethernetcables directly to the devices without problems - 0% packet loss.

Through the switch i noticed 2-5% packet loss (ping -i 0.1 -c 20000 *).

I discovered that all the lights except power-led of the switch turns off every few minutes - then all turn on and continous the normal operation, i.e. link/active flickers green and gigabit permanently green. It seems the switch restarts for some reason. Is it defective? Or does the restart indicates any problems and is a "feature"?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

these are $40 switches...they are also end of life/end of sale as of 2019. The limited lifetime warranty these devices have is probably your best option. I would return it asap...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pieterh
VIP
VIP

Cisco 110 Series Unmanaged Switches, so there won't be any logging on the switch to investigate.
but also unmanaged switches use the spanning-tree algorithm to detect loops in the network, this may be contributing to your problem?
try disconnecting cables and reconnecting one-by-one until the problem appears

otherwise it may just be faulty power supply, or other cabling errors

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the config on that port - make it access port is suggested.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

these are $40 switches...they are also end of life/end of sale as of 2019. The limited lifetime warranty these devices have is probably your best option. I would return it asap...

Stein26242
Level 1
Level 1

Now I changed the SG110D-05 with an old fritzbox configured as IP-client ... no problems anymore - thank you for the answers.

Bigmalloy
Level 1
Level 1

I have found a solution to this problem, I just received new old stock of this switch and it started this behavior after a week of use.

The power switches on these corrode, I sprayed switch cleaner into the switch and this solved the problem.

I measured the included power supply and measured it was only outputting 11.2 volts with no load, so also replaced the power supply, the resetting behavior continued until the switch was cleaned.

I soldiered across the terminal of the power switch and cut the plastic switch off so it can no longer be actuated, this is the permanent fix.

After examining and and investigating this unit, it's a shame because besides the switch issue it is a really well built device with a high quality board and case that acts as a heat sink and runs very cool.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card