Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus C7009 Monitoring

ANAKIN_TN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dear ciscoman and womans ;

We have a 2 cisco C7009 configured on the same VPC domain and for L2 switching Only.

Those Two C7009 are using 2 supervisor eachone and are staffed with 7 N7K-F248XP-25E each one.

Last week we had an issue with an module who passed fail and this module creates paquets lost high latency and lag on the entire network.

My questions is :

Can we monitor the health or the status of a module ont those chassis, for exemple in the show module command can we monitor the online diag status if a module go fail ? 

Can we and whats is the best way or software to monitor latency, lost/dropped paquets or congestion on those chassis ? 

Regards

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes if you have NMS in Place you can monitor using SNMP.  and enable Netflow give you more visibiltiy.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

what NMS do you reccommand  ?

ENabling netflow everywhere can impact the chassis performance no ? 

Any NMS should able to do your job, how much you want to invest or you looking open source is your choice.

Opensource :

zabixx

librenms

cacti

nagios

etc...

some of the above support netflow also. (i do not see any impact enabling netflow here)

BB

hello, 

Most of nms support basic informations but not module status  or more advanced information, did you did it on a specific NMS ? 

About the netflow, do you have any idea about the performance impact on cisco 7K if we enable on all interfaces ? ( im talkin about layer 3 Netfow ).

Regards 

Most of nms support basic informations but not module status or more advanced information, did you did it on a specific NMS ?

- i used most of the Solarwinds / PRTG / Manageengine / Zabixx (for some part - you need to download MIB/ OID to get what you looking, but it is possible )

About the netflow, do you have any idea about the performance impact on cisco 7K if we enable on all interfaces ? ( im talkin about layer 3 Netfow ).

- As i have said these kits are build well,. Netflow support very well. ( Nelflow only supprt Layer3, now a days support Laye 2 also).

BB

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since you are using Nexus, to start with, you can probably set up monitoring on the device itself to monitor the health of the ports and modules. Have a look at this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus6000/sw/qos/7x/b_6k_QoS_Config_7x/b_6k_QoS_Config_7x_chapter_010001.html

Not sure if it can be exported to something like Splunk to search and view it in a graphical interface.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card