Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WS-C2960CG-8TC-L hangs at login

patander
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have a Cisco WS-C2960CG-8TC-L switch which i recently upgraded from 12.2(something) to the new, recommended IOS Version 15.2.2E9(MD).

The switch boots just fine with the new IOS and as far as I can tell it works correctly as it did before the upgrade. However, I cannot login to the switch.

I get to the login prompt, enter username and password and then it just hangs forever (attached is a screenshot of the login screen... no access denied, nothing). This happens both via Telnet, SSH and Console.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Any ideas? At present, there is no way for me to manage the switch and since we have disabled Password Recovery, I don't see any other way but to replace it.

Thanks!

Patrick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have you tried, if possible , different account(s) ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Yes, three users are configured locally on the switch, but it doesn't make a difference which one I use or if I type in a username which doesn't exist on the switch.

I get to enter the password and then it just stays there...Authentication methods are RADIUS and then local for VTY lines and local only for Console. RADIUS doesn't work at the moment because the switch config is not up to date, but that shouldn't be a problem. Local login worked on the VTY lines after RADIUS timeout before the IOS update.

I will have the switch replaced next week and then try the factory reset once I have it back - losing the config is not a big deal in that case!

Thanks,

Patrick

Hello,

since you do not have access, I would do a factory default reset...

http://notthenetwork.me/blog/2013/05/28/reset-a-cisco-2960-switch-to-factory-default-settings/

Hello again,

I finally got the switch back in my office, did the factory reset and reconfigured it "by hand".

Now the login works as expected (local login after RADIUS timeout).

I presume there were some legacy AAA commands in the switch config that the new IOS Version is not compatible with.

Anyway, problem solved!

Thank you all very much,

Patrick

pieterh
VIP
VIP

when password recovery is diabled, you cannot recover from a lost password, while keeping the configuration

but you CAN recover the device to the factory default while wiping  the config.

If you have a backup of the configuration you can upload this as if the switch was installed as replacement of an existing config.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card