cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cant ping VLAN interface up from downstream devices

joshduty
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on a Packet Tracer project and have three switches. A Core switch with several Vlan Interfaces (10,20,30) and Routing turned on and several VLANs created and active. I have a distribution switch downstream that can ping and successfully communicate with the Core VLAN interfaces. From here I have a downstream access switch from the distribution Layer switch. This switch can ping the core switch and all VLAN interfaces. The problem is if I connect a PC with on VLAN 30, I cannot communicate with the Core switches VLAN 30 interface IP. If however I connect a PC directly to either the distribution switch or core switch on VLAN 30 I can ping the VLAN 30 gateway IP residing the core switch. 

It seems as though the issue is that the access layer switch has to get through the distribution switch to the core switch. All connections between switches are trunk ports and allow all VLANs over them. I’m sure it’s something simple I am overlooking.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If all the switch interconnects are trunks and you are sure all vlans are allowed then - 

1) check that the vlan 30 exists in the vlan database on the access switch

2) check that the port the PC connects to on the access switch is in vlan 30

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello

Can you post the PT file

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Unfortunately, it won't let me upload the PT file. Not a valid file type. Its something I threw together last night really quickly, so excuse the mess of it. 

I labeled a bunch of the critical devices with their associated IPs.

Vlan 1 (management) - 10.10.10.0/24

Vlan 10 - 10.1.1.254/24

Vlan 20 - 10.2.6.254/16

Vlan 30 - 10.1.30.254/24

Josh 

If all the switch interconnects are trunks and you are sure all vlans are allowed then - 

1) check that the vlan 30 exists in the vlan database on the access switch

2) check that the port the PC connects to on the access switch is in vlan 30

Jon

Thanks for pointing this out. I could of sworn I had the port in the Vlan, but apparently I did not!

Thanks for help!

PT file must be in a zip format to be able to upload it here.

Make sure trunk links are set and allow vlans to pass between switches

Make sure vlan x is in database of each switch.

Native Vlan x must match between a pair of switches.

If you do not use a router, there must be a SVI for each corresponding vlan x and IP range for routing between vlans.  Such SVI must be UP UP state (check vlan id and a port present on L3 switch)

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card