Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto QoS Issue

andy1217
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

There's an issue I'm running into when trying to implement auto qos on a C1000-8FP. I'm also aware that this issue is occurring on some 2960-8P's that are in production but for the sake of this discussion, I'll only be dealing with the 1000 as it is not in production and completely blank. 

What is occurring is that I can only apply 'auto qos voip cisco-phone' to 4 interfaces. Doesn't matter how I do it, whether individually or as a range, it will only accept the first 4 and then fail on the next. Here's the output for int 5.

Switch(config-if)#auto qos voip cisco-phone
HAY_HQM_IF_POLICY_ADD_CMD send failed for interface GigabitEthernet1/0/5

Service Policy attachment failed
AutoQoS Error: ciscophone input service policy was not properly applied
AutoQoS Error while generating commands on Gi1/0/5.
Switch(config-if)#
*Nov 1 19:48:45.158: HQM: Failed command 18 0 2
*Nov 1 19:48:45.159: %QOS-6-POLICY_INST_FAILED:
Service policy installation failed

I have updated the iOS to 15.2(7)E6 from E4, tried different variations of implementing the commands, issued 'auto qos global compact' before AND after the interface commands, tried entering 'mls qos trust device cisco-phone' and 'mls qos trust cos/dscp', and I'm certain other variations of commands. I've tried defaulting the interfaces and starting over, configuring vlans on the ports, you name it. I can remove the auto qos from an interface and it will allow me then to apply it to int 5, or 6 or 7 or 8, but I can't apply it if I already have 4 interfaces configured. However, if I go to int 5 and issue 'auto qos voip cisco-softphone' it will fail, but then I can issue 'auto qos voip cisco-phone' and it will take it, but I can't do that on all the ports as it will only accept it one time. So I suppose I can get 5 interfaces to accept the auto qos. I can also issue 'auto qos voip trust' on all interfaces with no problem. 

I've attached a copy of the config after only configuring 'auto qos voip cisco-phone' on interfaces 1-8. Not that it's going to show much but it does show the class maps being populated. 

I did read that there is a bug that is causing this so I'm aware that there is an issue and this may just be what it is. What I'm mostly looking for is if anyone has run into this issue and found a work around or if I'm doing something wrong. We have other 2960-24P and 48P switches running without an issue. They're of an older iOS so I can downgrade my C1000s but just wanted to throw this out there before I went down that avenue. 

Thanks for any insights 

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

try to configure the ports as "switchport mode access" first ?
a cisco phone attaches to an access port, not to a trunk port (or auto-negotiate )

do I also miss a "voice vlan" command ?  or do I just overlook this?

Thank you for the reply. I had tried that previously with no luck. I just retried to make sure I didn't miss anything. I configured interfaces 1-8 as access with vlan 121 and a voice vlan of 644. I also set nonegotiate, though it is probably redundant being they are access ports. I then applied auto qos voip cisco-phone and interfaces 1-4 configured correctly and 5-8 did not. Here are examples of my run config after application. 

Success

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
switchport access vlan 121
switchport mode access
switchport nonegotiate
switchport voice vlan 644
mls qos trust device cisco-phone
mls qos trust cos
srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5
priority-queue out
auto qos voip cisco-phone
spanning-tree portfast edge