Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyone bought the new 9K Campus bundles yet

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

One of our regional Cisco representatives is telling us the switches bundles can be either layer 2 or 3 when purchased and cant be changed even with a license upgrade , anyone know if that's correct doesn't seem right ? I have a 9300 in a LAB but its only a DEMO and I cant find the answer on the data sheets that are currently available

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looks like it.  Essentials is Layer 2 only and Advantage is Layer 2 & 3. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looks like it.  Essentials is Layer 2 only and Advantage is Layer 2 & 3. 

Thanks Leo that's what it looked like when I checked the below in the data sheet but Cisco are saying I can only be layer 2 or 3 not both  , so once we stick with the advantage license we should have the options for both , its a tie between 4507s or 9407s at the access layer so need to make sure I have the info correct , I would like to go to the new 9ks but if there is heavy restrictions like that we may not yet anyway

Table 6.       Essentials and Advantage Package Features

Features

Network Essentials

Network Advantage

Cisco DNA Essentials

Cisco DNA Advantage

Switch features

Switch fundamentals
Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), Rapid STP (RSTP), VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP), trunking, Private VLAN (PVLAN), dynamic voice VLAN, IPv6, PnP, Cisco Discovery Protocol, 802.1Q tunneling (Q-in-Q), Routed Access – OSPF and RIP, Policy-Based Routing (PBR), Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP), Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP), PIM Stub, Weighted Random Early Detection (WRED), First Hop Security (FHS), 802.1X, MACsec-128, Control Plane Policing (CoPP), Cisco TrustSec® SGT Exchange Protocol (SXP), IP SLA Responder, SSO, EIGRP Stub, Microflow Policing, Class-Based Weighted Fair Queuing (CBWFQ), hierarchical QoS (H-QoS), Application Reporting, Syslog, SNMP

Advanced switch capabilities and scale
BGP, EIGRP, Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), IS-IS, Bootstrap Router (BSR), Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP), Bidirectional PIM (PIM-BIDIR), Label Switched Multicast (LSM), IP SLA, Full OSPF

so if we buy l2 were stuck with l2 and cant be upgraded but if we buy the advantage were ok for both , bit restrictive by Cisco considering the price difference but that's what there doing I suppose , that could push us back onto the 4k path then , thanks

@Mark Malone wrote:
I checked the below in the data sheet but Cisco are saying I can only be layer 2 or 3 not both

I can't find any ordering guide nor can I find any mention about feature set licensing options.  So I'm going to have to say what you've been told is correct, i.e.  it's either a Layer 2 OR Layer 3 option and license upgrade is not (yet) on the table.  

@Mark Malone wrote:
that could push us back onto the 4k path then

I dunno.  The 9400 is meant to replace the 4K range.  And I really don't understand why bother releasing the Sup9E ...

I went back to them to clarify exactly what they were saying and its seems that's the way alright and they said so far on the road map there is no mention of upgrade paths by license from layer 2 to 3 , so if you buy layer 2 your stuck with it , or else buy layer 2 and 3 capable switch , 45s are on Cisco ONE license while 9k are on new DNA license packs , 9ks still seem to be cheaper when all bundled up together

yes agree 9s are there to replace 4ks but are managers that authorise the final budget do not seem to be too impressed with these restrictions so I may not have a choice , hopefully we can still push them towards newer kit

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card