cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SDA DHCP Requirement

fatalXerror
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, Can I use a catalyst switch as a DHCP server for my SDA network or it is required to have a Windows server type for a DHCP service for SDA environment?

5 Replies 5

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @fatalXerror 

It's recommended to use a centralized DHCP server, and Cisco Catalyst switches can integrate with external DHCP servers, which could include Windows servers. While some Catalyst switches do support basic DHCP functionality, using a dedicated DHCP server, especially in larger or more complex deployments, is often preferred for better management and scalability.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi M02@rt37 , thank you for your feedback. Understood on where you are coming from but what if there is no option to have a dedicated Windows Server that is for DHCP only, in this case, can we use any other network devices like Catalyst or Firewall to be the DHCP server for the SDA environment? Because if I can remember it, there is in need of DHCP Option feature for the SDA so I am not sure if it will support by a network device-based DHCP. thank you

You're welcome @fatalXerror.

In scenarios where a dedicated Windows Server for DHCP is not feasible, Cisco Catalyst switches can indeed serve as DHCP servers for SDA environments.

If your Catalyst switch supports the required DHCP options and functionalities for SDA, it can be a viable solution for DHCP services within the SDA environment. 

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

IOS-based DHCP-server supports all the needs of SDA Fabric. u can easily google it

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is Lab that is ok, but if this in production - DHCP play key role serving IP address to the client that can be wire and wireless.

Rather depending on single device, plan for proper High available DHCP Servers(2) using Windows DHCP (if you not able to buy any DDI solution)

this save you lot of your headache when the switch fails. (operational point of view) - if you have local expert you can setup 2 Linux box for DHCP server. (if you do not have Windows Server License)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help