Views
Helpful
Replies

why cisco auto add keyword subnets when redistribute eigrp into ospf

rookie R
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I am doing a test on my EVE-NG, the original command in the OSPF is redistribute eigrp 100001 subnets route-map 123

When I want to disable that command, the system tells me

% OSPF supports only classless redistribution, keyword 'subnets' can only be disabled together with redistribution

And when I disable the distribute command and type redistribute eigrp 100001 route-map 123 in it, and run the command show run | s r o, the output is still redistribute eigrp 100001 subnets route-map 123.

I know when it has the keyword subnets it redistributes the subnetted network into the OSPF, when it doesn't have the keyword subnets it only distributes the class network.

My question is, why does the system automatically add the keyword subnets in it? Is that a bug in EVE-NG or it's routine?

Thanks so much!

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @rookie R ,

My question is, why does the system automatically add the keyword subnets in it? Is that a bug in EVE-NG or it's routine?

The classfull behavior has caused a lot of issues in the past, since nobody uses classfull addressing anymore.

The classless behavior should have been the default a long time ago.  In the more recent IOS versions the subnet keyword is enabled by default for this reason.

Regards,

Regards, 

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Will check in gns3 and update you.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

it is not Eve-ng, it is IOS version; As mentioned by Harold,  the subnet keyword is enabled by default now on.  I think the change was made with release of IOS 15.  If u get IOS 12.4 you will have the option of keyword 'subnets' you are looking for.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card