Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS Load Balancing between 2 links

tyagi.v
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have 2 scenarios as enclosed in the ppt , I want to achieve load-balancing among among 2 MPLS links , can you please suggest how I can achieve this ?

Thanks 

7 Replies 7

Hello,

what sort of routing are you using (static/BGP) ?

HSRP does not allow load balancing, you would need GLBP. 

Hi Georg ,

We are using BGP with ISP's over MPLS links

MHSRP on WAN routers to load-balance LAN traffic 

Now  want to do load-balancing between 2 different MPLS links ( both links are from different providers)

Thanks

Hello,

you have numerous options. Have a look at topology 4 and 6 in the attached selection of sample configs,,.

http://showipbgp.com/bgp-configurations/cisco.html

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Share your BGP configuration so we can guide you more. As I am getting your question that both your destination is reachable from both MPLS than you had configured BGP correctly. 

By default, BGP chooses one best path among the possible equal-cost paths that are learned from one AS. However, you can change the maximum number of parallel equal-cost paths that are allowed. In order to make this change, include the maximum-paths paths command under the BGP configuration.

So in your case, your configuration will be like:

router bgp <AS Number>
maximum-paths 2

I didn't you about the use of MHSRP.  Please explain a bit more so we can understand that will it required or not?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Thanks Deepak & Georg ,

In our case we have 2 MPLS links from different service providers , we don't have Public BGP AS number , rather using private AS numbers , so here my query is that can I do load balancing between 2 different providers or my MPLS links will work in active & standby only ?

I don't have much expertise on MPLS & BGP so this question could sound little generic also :)

Thanks

Hi,

Yes, you can do it load sharing on both links with help of BGP. There is no issue. As I said that share your BGP configuration and MHSRP as well to understand the network topology.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card