Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable blue LED on 1100 Series Routers

Scott Pettit
Level 9
Level 9

Hello,

Is there any way to disable the blue LED on the front cover of the new 1100 series routers? Can't find anything in the 1100 series software configuration guide about it.

Specifically in this case I have a C1111-8P but the other models also have the same very bright blue LED. As these are a desktop form factor we often install them in places other than a network rack, and the bright LED can annoy the customer.

Obviously I could physically intervene with some electrical tape/remove the light channel from the mainboard but that's not very elegant, hoping for a command instead.

6 Replies 6

Hello,

if you mean the blue lit Cisco logo LED, I don't think you can disable that. It indicates that there is power to the device. I know that on the wireless APs you can disable some LEDs, but on the 1100 I don't think it's possible...

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Cisco BU please take note - seems to be plenty of focus on aesthetics and energy savings on new products but a device with extremely bright LEDs which are always-on is neither!  Need an option to disable or dim the LEDs as can be done for APs.

cjacob
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So my only option to the annoying Blue front panel and green back panel LEDs is to use black finger nail polish? Why not have a "dark mode" like Maraki?

@cjacob

If you are a Cisco employee, that means it is YOUR company making these products. Can't you talk to the design department ? As an employee, you should have access to everyone...

Agreed!  @cjacob you're tagged as a Cisco Empoyee so you have more opportunity to raise this internally than any of us.

Remind the design team of Cisco's stated policy: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/csr/environmental-sustainability.html#~energy-efficiency

It says there "Employees can submit ideas to improve product efficiency and solve GHG emission challenges."

Turning off wasted light will save energy!

vincent_telus
Level 1
Level 1

There should be an energy-wise or platform command to dim or disable cosmetic leds. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card