Views
Helpful
Replies

New core design

Carlomd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have a project to redesign our core switches, this is my first time setting up vpc on 2 n9k 9372tx and wanted to get some pointers on which is a good direction, I've searched around, I know everyone has a different setup on their networks so I'm asking if my planned setup will suffice. I attached the simple diagram, my question is will static routing along with the vpc setup work together, I'll be using SVI's on the n9k's, I followed one of the how to's. on vpc, and got the basic setup going with peer-keepalive and peer-links, I'm trying to stick with the most simple setup, we do have a small network(collapsed network), about 85 pc's and about 50 voip's, about 10 network printers. We will also be finally moving to where our core sw will be the router, instead of our fw currently doing routing. Any pointers or advice would be appreciated, thanks in advanced

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The design seems to be simple  - but we are not sure what is the role here of nexus 9K

is this WAN Edge switch or replacing your Core (since you put Layer 2 switch..that means below is your end device ? or any south network you have - you have mentioned there is Core, what is that connected ?)

Is this Enterprise network then i prefer to have Cat 9500 instead of nexus (more of DC-based switches).

if you already purchased and want to use nexus 9K, that is fine here as per the diagram, is your Firewall in stick or inline mode? how is your outside (internet-connected ?)

suggestion :

use vPC on Layer2 Switch side.

Use HSRP down to south network, if this Nexus 9K as your Layer 3 device in the network.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB

thanks for the reply, this is replacing our current core a n3k-3048, current setup is like this 

internet>>pan fw>>n3k>>catalyst l2 sw>>internal network

We have the n9k-9372's already, the outside internet is connected through a fiber link handoff going into a ethernet converter sw from our ISP, the pan fw is on a router on a stick setup using sub-int's linked down to the n3k svi's, we've been having performance issues lately, so the idea of making the core sw the router has been in the works for a while.