cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Microwave 2+0 link aggregation & CRC errors

geoffry.brown
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I recently installed an SAF Technika microwave system that has links which are 2+0 (2 parallel microwave links).  Each link is 450 Mbps and one side connects to a IE-5000 and the other side to an IE-4000.  

As long as the bandwidth is 400 Mbps or below, there is no problems and I get steady 400 Mbps throughput, but as soon as the volume of traffic requires operation of both radios, say for 600+ Mbps of traffic, my effective throughput oscillates between 20-100 Mbps.  

So I looked at a Pcap and I could see that I was getting lots of retransmissions and noticed that the radios themselves were showing CRC errors in the SAF error logs and the Cisco switches were showing input errors.  

Of course I called SAF and they said try it with unmanaged switches (so I got a couple of 5 port netgear switches) and placed them in front of the Cisco switches.  And behold, I could get 900 Mbps through the system.  Their viewpoint is that see it works with Netgear, the Cisco switches are the problem.  

So I called Cisco, we tried using TAPs, etc and could not find the root of the problem either.  

Here are my questions:

1. What can explain as to why they don't work with Cisco switches, but do with unmanaged Netgear as pre-switches?

2.  Have spent many hours with Cisco on this issue and to their credit, they have always responded as they want to find the root of the problem.  I have also spent considerable time with SAF and their approach is always, it isn't a SAF issue.  

2. The radios themselves have an internal switch and do a layer 1 link aggregation at each end to combine the bandwidth.  I believe that something is wrong with this in the SAF radios at this point, how do I show that?  Further explanation is here:

https://www.saftehnika.com/files/downloads/24c36b5f-26da-e511-a0d1-0050569a8c0f/Link_Aggregation%202016%20Sep.pdf

There are a lot of details about this situation, I tried to limit my description here to the areas that I thought were relevant.  If there are any other details that would help, please let me know.

G. Brown

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've not worked with Cisco IE switches, but a couple of features they might have, that the Netgear switches likely do not, that would possible react to higher traffic volumes might be some form of QoS treatment, on egress traffic and/or perhaps some form of Ethernet flow control.

That said, I wouldn't see why either of those features would cause input errors.

Are you using the most current recommended IOS on the Cisco switches?

geoffry.brown
Level 1
Level 1

Since this past summer of 2020, I have worked with both Cisco and SAF to try to resolve this issue. Here most of what was found:

It appears that SAF Tehnika was not strictly following the 1Gbps ethernet protocol standard. It took a long time to get them to acknowledge that and correct that in their system.

As per rfc2889, IFG for 1 Gbps Ethernet should be set to 96.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2889

So now the system performs much better, even though it isn't where I think it should be.

Geoffry