Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding TX RX light level

1230639am
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I hope someone could please help clarify TX and RX light level.

This is the information i got from the CLI of cisco router:

Optical   Optical
         Temperature  Voltage  Current   Tx Power  Rx Power
Port     (Celsius)    (Volts)  (mA)      (dBm)     (dBm)
-------  -----------  -------  --------  --------  --------
Te4/1      26.9       0.00      29.7 --   -0.6      -2.0

Now I don’t understand the TX Power being -0.6 and RX Power being -2.0 is that indicating there is an issue with the fiber cable?

From what i have understood if an interface is shutdown then the TX Power level is -40.00dBm, which means the port is not sending any single.

If you could please explain the TX RX level that will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The numbers you mention are off. I've pasted below a more typical signal strength range (for a 10Gbase-SR transceiver in this case, but others have similar values). Open in new tab to zoom.

Transmit power is typically good when it is in the 6 dB range between -1 and -7 dBm.

Receive power is normally expected between - 1 and -9.9 dBm. 

If either Tx or Rx is in the -30 dBm or lower range that's usually indicative of there being no actual signal received and the transceiver is reporting the "noise floor" of the receiver stage. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_floor)

When we see a Rx power around -14 dBm or lower there is typically some sort of fault in the cable plant (bad splice, dirty connector, poorly seated jumper etc.) that's causing excessive signal loss.

You might see it on a healthy link if it's know to be a long outside plant run (tens of km) with a measured signal loss (using OTDR fiber test kit) that would cause such loss. In those cases we would be using the more expensive long haul transceivers that are more capable of sending and receiving usable signal under those more extreme situations.

View solution in original post

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As a follow-on to Marvin's comments.  

To determine if an optical transceiver (transmitter and receiver pair) is operating at the appropriate signal levels, the data sheets for the appropriate transceiver, typically posted by link speed, should be referenced.  These documents provide critical information such as link reach (distance), fiber type (singlemode or multimode), transmitter output power range and optical receive power range.

When you are reading the CLI output for a transceiver, the Optical Tx Power is the signal level leaving that device, and it should fall within the transmitter output power range shown in the data sheet. The optical receive power is the incoming signal level being received from the far end device, and should fall within the data sheets specified optical receive power range.

In most cases, the actual value shown in the output of the CLI is "generally" not as important as that it falls within the transceiver's Tx and Rx operating ranges shown in the data sheet.

Can be a confusing subject.  To get some general fiber optic information, you may want to reference www.thefoa.org.  Good overviews.

Good luck!         

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It looks like that interface is not admin down. If it were, you should see Optical Tx (Transmit) Power at the noise level - i.e. -30 to -40 dBm.

show interface Te4/1

...will show us the interface status.

Your Rx (Receive) power is a good signal, indicating you are receiving good signal strength from the downstream device.

show interface Te4/1 transceiver detail

...will show you the warning and alarm threshold optical Tx and Rx power levels for your transceiver. 

Thanks Marvin for the response.

Allow me to further explain the case:

1. Both interfaces that connect the devices state were no shutdown and the details provided where the light levels above. 

i wanted to clarify my understanding what should be the TX and RX dBm light levels.

Correct me if i have not understood correctly:

RX light level:

RX dBm signal should be between -18 to -25 dBm.

For example if the RX is -40 dBm that is indicating the port is not sending out any signal. One of the reasons could be  because the interface is shutdown or the cable is faulty and no signal are being received on the interface. On the other hand, if the RX is -18 dBm that is a very strong signal. So if the RX is above -18 e.g. -10 or -5 dBm that is a very strong signal?

So relating to the CLI output i have posted above, the RX being -2.0 dBm is indicating that the interface is receiving a very strong signal? or this is not correct?

TX light level:

What should be the TX dBm light levels?

From the information you had posted you informed if the TX is between -30 to -40 dBm, being closer to -30 dBm is a strong signal being transmitted is that correct?

your answer will help my understanding in this area and well appreciated. 

Thanks.

The numbers you mention are off. I've pasted below a more typical signal strength range (for a 10Gbase-SR transceiver in this case, but others have similar values). Open in new tab to zoom.

Transmit power is typically good when it is in the 6 dB range between -1 and -7 dBm.

Receive power is normally expected between - 1 and -9.9 dBm. 

If either Tx or Rx is in the -30 dBm or lower range that's usually indicative of there being no actual signal received and the transceiver is reporting the "noise floor" of the receiver stage. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_floor)

When we see a Rx power around -14 dBm or lower there is typically some sort of fault in the cable plant (bad splice, dirty connector, poorly seated jumper etc.) that's causing excessive signal loss.

You might see it on a healthy link if it's know to be a long outside plant run (tens of km) with a measured signal loss (using OTDR fiber test kit) that would cause such loss. In those cases we would be using the more expensive long haul transceivers that are more capable of sending and receiving usable signal under those more extreme situations.

Thank you for your explanation. This has helped a lot. 

Hi expert,

Do i need to take action upon following output of the reading ?

I noticed that low rx power reading on port g1/0/25.

Optical High Alarm High Warn Low Warn Low Alarm
Transmit Power Threshold Threshold Threshold Threshold
Port (dBm) (dBm) (dBm) (dBm) (dBm)
--------- ----------------- ---------- --------- --------- ---------
Gi1/0/25 -5.7 0.0 -3.0 -9.5 -13.5

Receive Power Threshold Threshold Threshold Threshold
------- ----------------- ---------- --------- --------- ---------
Gi1/0/25 -19.3 - 3.0 0.0 -17.0 -21.0

Thank you.

tha

Your receive power level at 19.3 is worse than the low power warning level and approaching the low power alarm level.

Assuming the distant end is transmitting at a proper level (can you check it?), I'd recommend going through the path end to end and cleaning and reseating the patches. Get yourself a proper fiber cleaning kit and measure the new level after every re-patch.

If it remains that low then I would suggest seeing if you can run the link over a different pair of have your provider test the path using more specialized test kit.

Dear Marvin,

Other end reading as following :

ITU Channel not available (Wavelength not available),
Transceiver is internally calibrated.
mA: milliamperes, dBm: decibels (milliwatts), NA or N/A: not applicable.
++ : high alarm, + : high warning, - : low warning, -- : low alarm.
A2D readouts (if they differ), are reported in parentheses.
The threshold values are calibrated.

NBV-OptSW1#sho int g1/0/5 transceiver deta
Transceiver monitoring is disabled for all interfaces.

High Alarm High Warn Low Warn Low Alarm
Temperature Threshold Threshold Threshold Threshold
Port (Celsius) (Celsius) (Celsius) (Celsius) (Celsius)
Gi1/0/5 35.6 90.0 85.0 -5.0 -10.0

Voltage Threshold Threshold Threshold Threshold
Port (Volts) (Volts) (Volts) (Volts) (Volts)
Gi1/0/5 3.29 3.63 3.47 3.14 2.97

Current Threshold Threshold Threshold Threshold
Port (milliamperes) (mA) (mA) (mA) (mA)
Gi1/0/5 4.1 12.7 11.9 2.4 2.0

Transmit Power Threshold Threshold Threshold Threshold
Gi1/0/5 -5.7 -0.0 -2.9 -9.5 -13.4

Receive Power Threshold Threshold Threshold Threshold
Gi1/0/5 -6.6 2.9 -0.0 -17.0 -21.0

As you suggested, I will try to clean up patches and sfp as well.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Aung

It appears you definitely have a bad patch or connection along the path.

Both ends are transmitting at -5.7 dBm. One end receives at -6.6 dBm (0.9 db loss) while the other end receives at -19.3 dBm (13.6 dB loss). Normally we would expect these respective losses to be very close to one another - i.e. within plus or minus 1 dB. 

if the rx signal between two device (my result were -3.3 on asr920 and -4.3 on huawei) means fiber transmit signal correctly right ? do you have any idea why the port wont up ?

Hi As Ari,

Yeah the power level you described is sufficient and more than appropriate. For fiber port is not coming up the most probable reason is compatibility. Please make sure your SFPs are compatible with each other and using the appropriate cable type.

For more details read-through this article: https://www.rfindustries.com/resources/articles/fiber-optic-cable-types-multimode-and-single-mode.php

what is the command on isr 4331 to get these Tx and Rx power reading and thresholds?

I think it can be achieved using "show interface transceiver"

The status of my fiber internet is:

Laser Bias Current (ONT ANI-ONT-Side Optical Measurements): 5836 uA

Optics Module Voltage (ONT ANI-ONT-Side Optical Measurements): 3250000 uV

Optics Module Temperature (ONT ANI-ONT-Side Optical Measurements): 35.70 °C

Rx Optics Signal Level at 1490 nm (ONT ANI-ONT-Side Optical Measurements): -18.97 dBm

Tx Optics Signal Level at 1310 nm (ONT ANI-ONT-Side Optical Measurements): 1.91 dBm

Lower (ONT ANI-ONT-Side Optical Measurements-Optical Threshold): -27.95 dBm

Upper (ONT ANI-ONT-Side Optical Measurements-Optical Threshold): -7.00 dBm

Hi Genius,

Can anyone pls help me why the optical transmit power is varying? why optics cant transmit fixed power? 

the transmit power is varying port by port even same optics and same hardware, so i like to understand why this variation?