cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp auth failure on a switch?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

every now and then i see this message on my core? is it some kind of attack?

%SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL: Authentication failure for SNMP req from host X.X.X.X

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- Depends , in worst case the user's device may be infected by virus or malware , it may then also be appropriate to re-image the particular device.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Means snmp request was tried with invalid community , you may configure snmp related acl's on the switch to allow snmp requests from trusted hosts only.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

this ip is one of my company user pc , does it mean the user is trying to do some attack?

- Depends , in worst case the user's device may be infected by virus or malware , it may then also be appropriate to re-image the particular device.

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card