Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure Clients and Users - disable tracking on some wlans

Nils 86
Level 1
Level 1

hello everyone,

we have a prime infrastructure with version 3.4 and using the "clients and users" so search for IP an MAC Adresses.

most things works fine, the only problem is that we dont want to track some wireless lans (open wlan for guest access) from our wlc. has any one an idea how to stop tracking users on some special wireless lans?

on Switches we can reduce the collection with the "snmp-server group management1 v3 priv context vlan- match prefix context" command. Is this also possible ob wlc?

thanks

Nils

6 Replies 6

pieterh
VIP
VIP

I'm not sure I understand your question?

The WLC needs an administration about what client is associated to which access point.

( like switches have a MAC-address table) and passes this current  status information to Prime.

this is not what I call tracking, it is necessary network administration.

hi,

that the wlc Needs this Information is Right and not the "Problem". what i meen is the overview of Clients in prime infrastructure . Monitoring Tools -> Clients and Users . there are a lot of Mac Adresses / IPs / Users from an open wireless for Guest Access. My Question is if there is an Option that the Information About the Clients from this SSID or WLAN a not synced to prime!

sorry for my wrong Explanation :)

thanks nils

but  you can configure the snmp-settings for communication between Prime and the WLC as SNMPv3

so I guess you are good to go with the same command(s)

create a snmp context/view with the desired filtered information. and use this to allow Prime access

thats a good idea! i am not so familiar with the wlc config, and how to configure this. i will try!

thank you!

Nils

hi, in the cli of the wlc i cant see somthing like snmp context, we are use Version 8.3.

here the Output

(Cisco Controller) config>snmp ?

community      Add, delete, or modify SNMP community entries.
engineID       Enter the Snmp EngineID.
pi-ip-address
Incorrect input! Use 'config snmp <piipaddress> <add/delete> '
syscontact     Enter system contact.
syslocation    Enter system location.
trapreceiver   Add, delete, or modify SNMP trap receiver entries.
v3user         Create or delete a SNMP v3 user.
version        Enable/Disable SNMPv1, SNMPv2c, SNMPv3.

(Cisco Controller) config>snmp

ouch!!!...

my reference was SNMP Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Release 3SE (Cisco WLC 5700 Series)

glad to have found this, I didn't think of the many WLC's not running IOS