Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Licensing problem after upgrade to V3.10.4 Update 02

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Prime experts,

after upgrade to V3.10.4 Update 02 our licensing connection to our internal Smart Software licensing Server is broken.

All licenses are shown in evaluation mode!

Release Notes state the following:

Starting from Prime Infrastructure 3.10.4 Update 02, the registration URL for Smart Software Licensing has been modified to https://smartreceiver.cisco.com/licservice/license. Ensure that you need to re-register the Prime Infrastructure using the provided token.

To re-register the Smart Software Licensing after installing the Prime Infrastucture 3.10.4 update 02, do the following:

Ensure that proxy is enabled before registering the Smart Software Licensing.

• De-register the existing Smart Software Licensing registration.

• Disable Smart Software Licensing and Enable Smart Software Licensing.

• Register the Smart Software Licensing using the provided token.

Prime was migrated to Smart Receiver and as per their guidelines Direct and Transport Gateway mode
is not supported. You must use Proxy to enable smart license using new url https://smartreceiver.cisco.com/
licservice/license.

Honestly, I'm lost in the dark.

Apparently I cannot reconnect to our formerly used internal License-Server using Transport Gateway Mode.

The only shown transport mode now is http/https-Proxy.

On the Proxy-page on Prime, I need to activate proxy, add an IP or hostname and a port-number.

But what do I need to enter here ?

The IP-address or hostname of our internal On-Prem-license-Server or "smartreceiver.cisco.com" ?

And which Port-number shall I use ?

Finally, where can I receive a "Token" from ?

Please help

Kind regards

Wini

9 Replies 9

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco WLAN Techies,

I have opened a Cisco TAC Case Number 696787961 instead.

Received back information that this is a severe bug in Cisco Prim 3.10.4 Update 02 code.

====

The bug-id is CSCwi60372

Unable to perform Smart Licensing for Prime Infra 3.10.4 Update 02 Setup.

Symptom: We are unable to perform smart licensing for 3.10.4 Update 02 Prime Infra setup. Conditions: Prime Infra 3.10.4 Update 02 Patch. Workaround: Further Problem Description:

====

Why is Cisco still offering this malworking Software for Download ?

Maybe someone within Cisco should prevent customers from Downloading this stuff to prevent further damage.

Hopefully Cisco can solve this problem with a fast fix to regain connection to On-Prem-License-Server using transport mode "Transport Gateway" setup.

Please link this  community thread to the bugid is CSCwi60372 also.

Thank You

Kind regards

Wini

Kind regards

Wini

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Hi Wini

CSCwi60372 is lacking in detail so can't comment on that.
The release notes you quoted imply that Prime no longer supports the on-prem server so what you are seeing may be "by design".
If so then that means the only way for you to connect to smart licensing is directly over the internet or via an internet proxy server, which is actually what we decided to do some time back after we concluded that the on-prem server was not fit for purpose.

Answering your questions:
On the Proxy-page on Prime, I need to activate proxy, add an IP or hostname and a port-number. But what do I need to enter here?The IP-address or hostname of our internal On-Prem-license-Server or "smartreceiver.cisco.com" ? And which Port-number shall I use ?
[A] Proxy is only needed if you do not want to provide Prime with a direct internet connection to Cisco (eg via a firewall).  smartreceiver.cisco.com is the Cisco licensing server.  If you choose to use a proxy instead of direct connection then you must setup the proxy server yourself and then enter the name or IP of your proxy server and the port it runs on there.
For example something like proxy.mycompany.com and port 8080 or 8443 are often used for proxy servers (however you have setup your proxy server).  Most corporate environments already have a proxy server which provides internet access to internal users and servers.

Finally, where can I receive a "Token" from ?
[A] You create the token yourself on the Smart Software Licensing portal: https://software.cisco.com/software/smart-licensing/inventory Go to the inventory tab, General sub-tab, scroll down to the Product Instance Registration Tokens section then click on New Token.  The token is what allows Cisco to link the license to your smart account.

Any bug IDs mentioned here are automatically linked to the bug ID.

UKW-NK-Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Rich,

thank You very much for Your information.

But I still have problems to get all things together now after the upgrade to V3.10.4 Update2.

When I log in to our Cisco Smart Software Manager, I can create a Token only for the Virtaul Account "Default", which doe s not contain the licenses for Prime. WIthin Cisco Smart Software Licensing, we use a another virtual Account "WLAN" which is connected to our internal On-Prem-Licensing-Server. Here is the picture:

UKWNKCisco_0-1706255358757.png

According to the information line marked in yellow, the registration token must be generated from the On-Prem management interface instead.  See picture from our On-Prem:

UKWNKCisco_1-1706255595486.png

But after the upgrade, Prime shows only Transport Mode Http/Https-connection, which is not supported by the Cisco On-Prem-licensing server!!

So I'm running in a non-working circle right now.

Cisco TAC is working instead on converting back our licences into tradiitonal ones instead.

Also informed me that they are working on solving this bug in the next Update fpr V3.10.4 hopefully coming out next month.

Another option would be in my eyes, to move the licences back from the On-Prem-Server to the Cisco Software Central side https://software.cisco.com/software/smart-licensing/inventory and try to connect to this Side using http/https transport. But I'm worried with the info from Release-Notes, where Cisco mentions https://smartreceiver.cisco.com/licservice/license

instead.

How do I connect to this Side ?

Kind regards

Wini

Kind regards

Wini

mshd
Level 1
Level 1

Am hitting the same Problem as you. According to TAC, there have been some changes and you are hitting this bug: CSCwi60372

Update 03 should fix this and re-enable usage of our on-prem sattelites. TAC says this should be released sometime next week - fingers crossed!

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello mshd,

I worked together with Cisco TAC Case 696787961on this problem.

I recevied a temporary patch fix and we replaced 5 or 6 files after stopping the machine.

This fixed the problem !

Our connection via the reappearing Option "Tranport Gateway Mode" to the On-Prem-License-Server came up again.

Let's hope Cisco comes out with official fix next days for You.

Kind regards

Wini

Yes thanks, got the same fix files as you and licensing works again, too!

According to TAC, the problem won't be fixed with update 03. If you install that, you have to apply the fix again.

ITGuy118
Level 1
Level 1

Could you provide the files and the proceedure?

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ITGuy118 and frineds of Cisco Prime,

here are the files for curing the connection problem between Cisco Prime and On-Prem-License-Server. After applying the instructions, the option "Tranport Gateway Mode" to the On-Prem-License-Server will appear again.

Sharing the patch file attached. Install instructions are as below.

1. Stop Prime Services
  2. Extract the zip file and patch the files as mentioned in the below table. Rename the old files for reference purpose.

Patch Files

Server Path

smartlic-oldflow/SmartLicenseProperties.js

/opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/lib/ifm/nls/

smartlic-oldflow/en/SmartLicenseProperties.js

/opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/lib/ifm/nls/en/

smartlic-oldflow/en-us/SmartLicenseProperties.js

/opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/lib/ifm/nls/en-us/

SLSettings.js

/opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/applications/SmartLicense/

SLTransportSettings.js

/opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/applications/SmartLicense/

ifm_smart_agent_rest-3.900.1.jar

/opt/CSCOlumos/lib/ifm/

ifm_smart_agent-3.906.2.jar

/opt/CSCOlumos/lib/ifm/

1. Start DB service - /opt/CSCOlumos/bin/dbadmin.sh start
  2. Execute the below command to change the smart receiver url to call home url in DB.

/opt/CSCOlumos/bin/sql_execution.sh "update licenseserverdetails set url='https://tools.cisco.com/its/service/oddce/services/DDCEService'"

1. Stop DB service - /opt/CSCOlumos/bin/dbadmin.sh stop
  2. Start Prime Services
  3. Enable Direct mode from SL page and Save.
  4. Test the connectivity and make sure URL is reachable in Direct mode
  5. Enable SL and Register

To add on additionally :

Before copying rename the old files for reference purposes.

cd /opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/lib/ifm/nls/

mv SmartLicenseProperties.js SmartLicenseProperties.js.bkup

cd /opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/lib/ifm/nls/en/

cd /opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/lib/ifm/nls/en-us/

cd /opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/applications/SmartLicense/

mv SLSettings.js SLSettings.js.bkup

mv SLTransportSettings.js SLTransportSettings.js.bkup

cd /opt/CSCOlumos/lib/ifm/

ls -l *smart*

Here rename the .jar files

mv ifm_smart_agent-3.1058.9.jar ifm_smart_agent-3.1058.9.jar.bkup

mv ifm_smart_agent_rest-3.1058.1.jar ifm_smart_agent_rest-3.1058.1.jar.bkup

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now switch to the directory where the zip file is extracted for example ( /localdisk/defaultRepo/smartlic-oldflow) and copy these files

cp smartlic-oldflow/SmartLicenseProperties.js /opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/lib/ifm/nls/

cp smartlic-oldflow/en/SmartLicenseProperties.js /opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/lib/ifm/nls/en/

cp smartlic-oldflow/en-us/SmartLicenseProperties.js /opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/lib/ifm/nls/en-us/

cp SLSettings.js /opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/applications/SmartLicense/

cp SLTransportSettings.js /opt/CSCOlumos/tomcat/webapps/webacs/applications/SmartLicense/

cp ifm_smart_agent_rest-3.900.1.jar /opt/CSCOlumos/lib/ifm/

cp ifm_smart_agent-3.906.2.jar /opt/CSCOlumos/lib/ifm/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stop Prime Services

/opt/CSCOlumos/bin/wcsadmin.sh stop

Start DB service

/opt/CSCOlumos/bin/dbadmin.sh start

Execute the below command to change the smart receiver url to call home url in DB,

/opt/CSCOlumos/bin/sql_execution.sh "update licenseserverdetails set url='https://tools.cisco.com/its/service/oddce/services/DDCEService'"

Start Prime Services

/opt/CSCOlumos/bin/wcsadmin.sh start

Next login to CPI and change the Transport Setting to Direct method verify the test connection and register using a token.

I would advise taking a VM snapshot for the Prime prior to the above activity.

Regards,

Wini