cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP IPv6 Customer Provisioning

AJWatsonLCT
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few questions I’m hoping you may be able to answer for me.

As an ISP, if you want to use a customer assignment scheme of assigning a /127 or /126 subnet to each customer's WAN, then giving them a full /48 for them to assign to their routers / network, is there any way to get around having to add a static route pointing the customer /48 to the customer’s IP on the /127 or /126? This seems like a very cumbersome, unscalable, and unsustainable model.

Simple Example:

ISP-Assigned Subnet for Peering: 2600:123:ABC:10::/126 (useable of 2600:123:ABC:10::0 - 3)

ISP-Assigned Subnet for Customer's Use: 2600:123:DEF::/48

ISP Router's Customer-Facing interface IP: 2600:123:ABC:10::1/126

Customer Router's Outside Interface IP: 2600:123:ABC:10::2/126

In this scenario, the ISP router needs to know how to reach the customer subnet of 2600:123:DEF::/48. So a route must be installed pointing 2600:123:DEF::/48 to the customer router's outside interface at 2600:123:ABC:10::2/126.

How can this be accomplished without having to manually install static routes for each customer?

Also, with this scheme, how would this affect your ability to hand out /64 subnets carved from the /48 to the inside interface(s) of the customer’s router? For most commercial customers, I would expect them to be able to manually choose a /64 from their /48 and assign it to their router(s) themselves. But for residential customers, both their LAN and WAN subnets would need to be assigned automatically. What protocol will do this? DHCPv6? Prefix-Delegation? If so, how?

1 Reply 1

Tinashe Ndhlovu
Level 1
Level 1

Unless you script this i don't believe you can avoid the static routes... same as in IPv4 i have seen providers in the IPv4 workd that have /30 P2P links to customer sites and then provision a seperate /29 block for the customers use. This means they have to have a static route somewhere either on their PE or P router depending on design... same rules apply with IPv6. 

Prefix Delegation is cool as ever and depending on the equipment vendor you can slice of the /64 from the /48.. i haven't successfully pulled this off yet but i do believe it is possible to have the CPE get the /48 and carve /64's to each interface pointing to the internal network. My buddies that have deployed this have however told me it can be buggy and they most times have to end up doing this manually