Views
Helpful
Replies

"ntp refclock ptp"

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

All:

I recently purchased a Catalyst IE-9300 for comparison/replacement of the IE-5000.

I see the Catalyst IE-9300 supports "ntp refclock ptp" (*) allowing NTP reference clock to be PTP Boundary Clock (PTP Client).

Are there any other IE-series switches that support "ntp refclock ptp" ?

Maybe the IE-3200 or IE-3300 (AB-Rockwell Stratix 5800 ?

(Even if they don't support that command syntax, they will behave this way automatically in the absence of a NTP Server/Peer?)

The Stratix 5800 / IE-3300 is appealing because it runs IOS-XE and supports VRF-LITE, allowing me to put an SVI/BVI into a VRF and allow it to function as an NTP server with OSI Layer3 isolation from the management address/VLAN of the switch.

Basically looking for a low-cost solution for PTP-to-NTP-Server conversion (to provide SNTP to legacy ModbusTCP stub networks), and if I can do it on an IE-Switch, that would be appealing.

Thanks!

~BAS

(*) (And presumably "ntp refclock gnss", like the IE-5000 does; Since ordering the IE-9300, new models have been released with GPS receivers!)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

the IE9300 supports and teh IR8340 support 'ntp refclock ptp'.    these are the only 2 industrail networking products which supprot that Im aware of.  Its possible other products in Cisco's portfolio support.

the IE3x00 i mentioned above do not support PTP as a reference clock for NTP.    not in 17.12.1 (or earlier)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

Alternatively, if anyone can recommend an NTP server appliance that is a PTP Boundary Mode Clock (PTP Client) and PTP Server, that is industrial grade (DIN Rail Mounting), I will take a recommendation.

(Ideally, something less expensive than a MEINBERG device)

Albert Mitchell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the IE3300 adn IE3400 support NTP To PTP.

its documented in teh IE3x00 PTP configuration guide:    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie3X00/software/16_10/config/b_1610_IoT_scg/b_1610_IoT_scg_chapter_0100.html#task_1058555

GNSS input is limited to IE5000 and specific models of teh IE9300

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

Just to clarify:

I'm looking for "PTP to NTP"; PTP Boundary clock (client mode), NTP in Server mode.

Most GNSS fed commercial clock devices will do this (For example, the GE RT430, and probably most/some Meinberg clocks)

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

Also, on the question of the IE3x00 IOS-XE Supporting command "ntp refclock ptp" command:

I have a test/sample reference AB-Rockwell Stratix 5800 (IE-3300), but because Rockwell IOS-XE release engineering will always be delayed from Cisco, it is still running on v17.10.01

Can someone an with a genuine Cisco IE-3300 running v17.12.x check for validity of "ntp refclock ptp"  ?

the IE9300 supports and teh IR8340 support 'ntp refclock ptp'.    these are the only 2 industrail networking products which supprot that Im aware of.  Its possible other products in Cisco's portfolio support.

the IE3x00 i mentioned above do not support PTP as a reference clock for NTP.    not in 17.12.1 (or earlier)

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks.  I'll watch the release notes for that to change.  Also, if I can get my agency to buy an IE 3x00 evaluation unit genuine Cisco, I'll submit a feature request for this improvement.  I doubt that Rockwell will forward it on to Cisco if I open a SR with them.

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

Initial feedback from AB-Rockwell support team with a new feature improvement request is no promising.  

If anyone here as the ear of the IE-3300 product manager to request adding this feature, I'd love you forever...