cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Duo Push notification has changed to SMS for login to DUO admin portal

mthepler
Level 1
Level 1

I originally used DUO for VPN access, and logging into the management portal to enroll users in our organization.  During the original install and enrollment everything was set to PUSH notification.  When I log into the DUO portal I would get a PUSH notification. 

We are currently implementing MFA for Workstation login, so we integrated DUO with our MFA solution through the Web v4 SDK.  I have added an alias to my DUO user, and enrolled the user domain login to my DUO account. 

If I login to a PC I get a PUSH notification through the DUO app.

If I connect over the VPN I get a PUSH notification through the DUO app

If I log into the DUO Portal to manage users, it now sends me an SMS message instead of a push.    What happened, and how can I get the portal to send me push notifications again like it did originally?  

I've tried re-activating DUO on my phone, but there was no change in how it sends the notifications for the various logins. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Turns out it was my mistake. while adding Duo to our MFA solution, I tried to consolidate the accounts that appear in the Duo app, not realizing the Duo Admin Panel has to be separate from other authenticators in the Duo Mobile app, I had deleted the Admin portal entry in the Duo app.  after unenrolling and re-enrolling/re-activating my phone I stumbled across a separate link in the admin portal to activate the Duo Admin panel login which had a note that it was required to be listed separately in the Duo app. 

Ultimately, I broke it trying to make things 'neat' in the app.  After re-authenticating my Duo Mobile for Duo Admin panel access, the second entry re-appeared in the Duo Mobile app, and push authentication worked again for the Admin panel.  Sometimes I am my own worst enemy, This issue has been resolved.

Thank you . 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By "DUO portal" do you mean the Duo Admin Panel (https://admin.duosecurity.com)? That should not automatically choose the logon method for 2FA for you unless it chooses a passkey or Duo Push. 

I wonder if you are actually describing different end-user application you log into? There are some configurations where it remembers the last used method specific to a given application, so it could appear to default to a different method depending in where you go.

Duo, not DUO.

Turns out it was my mistake. while adding Duo to our MFA solution, I tried to consolidate the accounts that appear in the Duo app, not realizing the Duo Admin Panel has to be separate from other authenticators in the Duo Mobile app, I had deleted the Admin portal entry in the Duo app.  after unenrolling and re-enrolling/re-activating my phone I stumbled across a separate link in the admin portal to activate the Duo Admin panel login which had a note that it was required to be listed separately in the Duo app. 

Ultimately, I broke it trying to make things 'neat' in the app.  After re-authenticating my Duo Mobile for Duo Admin panel access, the second entry re-appeared in the Duo Mobile app, and push authentication worked again for the Admin panel.  Sometimes I am my own worst enemy, This issue has been resolved.

Thank you . 

Ah, yeah... Duo users are distinct accounts in Duo Mobile and have unique device identifiers in our back-end, even though it's the same physical device. Glad you were able to resolve.

Duo, not DUO.
Quick Links