cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Auth API on WHMCS - Univ Prompt?

mbaydesign
Level 1
Level 1

(My edit: I somehow glanced at this thread and thought it was referencing the Univ Prompt. 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  https://community.cisco.com/t5/apis/duo-auth-api-verified-push-release-date/td-p/5035155)

Obviously, it's not, so my question still stands - I will contact support directly.

I use Duo Security Auth API to access my WHMCS application. I was warned in release notes for the latest WHMCS update that the iframe-based Duo Prompt will be discontinued and that the Universal Prompt must be activated. WHMCS has instructions that indicate there should be a "universal prompt section in Dashboard > Applications > WHMCS - as does the Duo docs, but there is no such section. 

My error is "Duo® Security is experiencing a service disruption. Duo® Security service availability: invalid_client: Integration type does not support frameless access."

"This error indicates that you need to upgrade your Duo credentials." So says WHMCS followed by the instructions to access the Univ Prompt section noted above which is not there. 

I found the following under Application Status under Universal Prompt Update Progress. Action required: 0, No action required: 1 - and it lists my app and a no action needed button... obviously some kind of action is needed.

Currently, I can only get into my WHMCS app using backup codes.

Help? 

Thanks!

Debbie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @mbaydesign !

You need to create a "Web SDK" application to use with Universal Prompt in WHMCS, not an "Auth API" application.

We've reached out to WHMCS to ask they update their instructions. If you are able to open a support ticket with them asking they do the same that may push them to take action sooner rather than later.

Duo, not DUO.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Pulkit Mittal
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried contacting duo support? We may need to look at the duo logs as well as same dump to understand the issue.

If you find this useful, please mark it helpful and accept the solution.

Please be mindful that Support for the traditional Duo Prompt experience and Duo Prompt delivery via iframe ends on March 30, 2024 for most applications.

https://duo.com/docs/universal-prompt-update-guide

Yes, thanks - I will contact duo support - I saw support replying in these threads and thought this was a viable option. So, this is helpful advice but not really a solution to my problem.  Thank you!

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @mbaydesign !

You need to create a "Web SDK" application to use with Universal Prompt in WHMCS, not an "Auth API" application.

We've reached out to WHMCS to ask they update their instructions. If you are able to open a support ticket with them asking they do the same that may push them to take action sooner rather than later.

Duo, not DUO.

Yes, thank you - I did learn that this morning when I contacted Duo support.  Just in case anyone else seeing this is also on WHMCS, it did create its own issue.  By changing from the Auth API to the WebSDK, this creates an invalid grant, invalid redirect issue in WHMCS which renders it completely inaccessible. I reached out to WHMCS support and they were able to replicate on their machines and have opened a case file on this issue.  A hotfix will hopefully be available soon, but in the meantime, duo security must be disabled via an SQL command in the database.  

https://docs.whmcs.com/Logging_In_Without_Your_Two-Factor_Authentication_Device

It's wise to reach out to support directly for assistance in resolving this issue. It's crucial to ensure a smooth transition to the new prompt to avoid disruptions in accessing your WHMCS Photo application.

monicacullan
Level 1
Level 1

Using the Auth API on WHMCS allows for seamless integration and authentication processes within your system. By leveraging this API, you can enhance security measures and streamline user authentication procedures. Whether you're implementing single sign-on solutions or enforcing multi-factor authentication, the Auth API empowers you to customize authentication workflows to fit your specific needs.

Furthermore, integrating the Auth API with WHMCS enables you to centralize user management, ensuring consistency and efficiency across your platform. Whether you're managing client accounts, employee access, or third-party integrations, the Auth API provides a robust framework for handling authentication tasks with ease.

In summary, leveraging the Auth API on WHMCS enhances security, streamlines user authentication, and centralizes user management processes, ultimately contributing to a more secure and efficient system overall. This can be particularly useful when managing user access to platforms like YTMP3, where secure authentication is crucial for protecting user data and ensuring a smooth user experience

This is incorrect and does not actually address my original question. Auth API is no longer the correct app for WHMCS. It must be WebSDK.  (A hotfix in WHMCS has been released.) A case has been opened for a fix in future releases. Please see my reponse above.  Mods, this thread can be closed so that no more erroneous responses can be added. Thanks!

I reported both of those responses but I don't think there is a way to close the thread. There seems to be a growing trend of posts for points without actually providing relevant content.

We did notice today that WHMCS updated their instructions so that it says to create the "Web SDK" application in Duo.

Duo, not DUO.

Yes, I noticed that too.   Glad WHMCS followed through with that - I had my doubts.

Thanks!

Quick Links