cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Push Notification to Fitbit

Joel Katz
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if anyone at Duo working on an authentication app for Fitbit smartwatches?

5 Replies 5

patrickemin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I saw somewhere a guy saying it works on a Fitbit versa 3. I have a Versa 2 and it doesn’t work.

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @jkatz,
I know you asked this question a while ago, and I apologize that I did not see it sooner to respond. There are currently no plans at this time to create an authentication app for Fitbit smartwatches. However, it appears from a recent announcement that future FitBit watches will utilize Wear OS technology, so Duo Mobile may likely work on these in the future. I can also add you to our existing feature request for Fitbit smartwatch support for Duo Mobile in the meantime

jayzonhe3
Level 1
Level 1

This was working on my Charge 3 and 4 until your (DUO Mobile’s) recent update. The steps were when the notification came:

1. tap the notification swipe up to see the actions then tap the (tap to view actions) button.
  2. The message goes away and you see the main screen.
  3. then you swipe down from the top of the fitbit to see the new notification.
  4. then you repeat step 1 with the new notification and it should be accepted.

It no longer works because the order of the options was changed. (Accept) (Deny) → to (Deny) (Accept). The fit bit is only showing the first option so you are now only able to deny the request.

I suggested to fitbit that they could support multiple actions and this would solve the problem. Another user said that Microsoft Authenticator is able to show these two buttons on a fitbit. I don’t know whose issue it is to why these are not showing up but it would be great to get it fixed.

It was working (kinda) but now not at all would be great to fix it correctly so I can deny or accept when needed.

Hi @jayzonhe3,
thanks for sharing this context with us! I had heard from one of our app reviewers that approving a push notification was no longer possible on a Fitbit watch, but I was missing the exact steps and details of the issue so this is really helpful.

In talking to our mobile team about this, we did not change the wearable actions for the app (and I can confirm my smartwatch experience did not change with Duo Mobile 4.0.0.) It sounds like this may be due to Fitbit displaying handheld actions rather than wearable actions for the app, and there is unfortunately not much we can do in this case.

Because Google acquired Fitbit, it’s likely that Fitbit devices will soon run WearOS, and hopefully at that point they will correctly handle notifications. We also have a feature request to support two-factor authentication from Fitbit watches, which you can request to be added to by the Duo Support team or your Customer Success Manager or Account Executive, if you are a Duo Care customer and those are applicable to you.

I can understand this doesn’t really help you in the short-term, and for that I am sorry. I wish I had a better solution for you at this time!

What Jayzonhe3 described is exactly what I have experienced (both before and after the update). It would seem it would be a simple update to go back to having “approve” be in the left position of the pull down notification (on my Samsung Galaxy) and “deny” in the right position-the way it was prior to a couple weeks ago. I really appreciated the ability to approve my login without opening up my phone.

Quick Links