cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300-48UXM Port LED Behaviour

nooriik
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C9300-48UXM originally running 17.6.5 now 17.9.4a (symptom present on both code versions) on the bench, is it normal for the port status LEDs to flash continuously (green) even when there is next to no traffic on the port?

A single device connected, running wireshark, default config, with only STP packets being sent out on the port  (approx 1 per second) and the LED is blinking like it's going full chat. Enabling bpdufilter to stop the STP packets, the lack of any packets at all allows the LED to stop flashing. Essentially a single packet causes the port LED to flash very fast (green) for ~4 seconds.

When devices are connected the activity LEDs make it look like it's storming even though traffic is totally normal and the LEDs on the plugged in devices behave as you would expect, appears to be no issue with network performance, and no issue at all with the cpu usage on it.

Is this normal? Having only used 48Ps in production which I haven't seen do this, I don't know if it's an issue or normal behaviour for the 48UXMs.

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Usually in modern switches the blinking rate no longer indicates traffic rate(s)  : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/hardware/install/b_c9300_hig/b_c9300_hig_chapter_01001.html
>....

Table 12. Meaning of Switch LED Colors in Different Modes
Port Mode Port LED Color Meaning

STAT (port status)

Off

No link, or port was administratively shut down.

Green

Link present, no activity.

Blinking green

Activity. Port is sending or receiving data.

Alternating green-amber

Link fault. Error frames can affect connectivity, and errors such as excessive collisions, CRC errors, and alignment and jabber errors are monitored for a link-fault indication.

Amber

Port is blocked by Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and is not forwarding data.

After a port is reconfigured, the port LED can be amber for up to 30 seconds as STP checks the switch for possible loops.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Do you config any 802.1x?

MHM

nooriik
Level 1
Level 1

@marce1000 Sure, it just puzzled me as a 48P next to it manufactured the same month behaves differently that's all. It does appear to be cosmetic only but still wondered if anyone else who uses 48UXMs regularly sees this as normal behaviour.

@MHM Cisco World This was tested on a completely factory config

Port is support poe

MHM

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@nooriik wrote:
even when there is next to no traffic on the port?

Regardless if the downstream client is not talking or not, there will always be outbound (switch to downstream client) traffic.  

adventurer
Level 1
Level 1

I'm observing the same port led fast blink on a 9300UN. Same observation as the first poster, I'm comparing with a 9300U and this 9300UN definitely led blink a lot faster, like having a network storm.

This is my first play with multigig switch, wondering did someone forgot to update the LED colors/blink table.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card