cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Iridium Satellite phone integration with Cisco PABX

inhamit
Level 1
Level 1

HI, we have project requirement to integrate the Iridium Satellite phone integration with Cisco PABX to make a calls in case of emergency. Can you please suggest, what can we achieved with this interface.

1) can we make calls on any number at cisco PABX side from satellite phone or call can we done on predefined numbers?

2) what are the devices required for this interface?

Thanks in advance

13 Replies 13

If your CUCM is linked to a PSTN network and you’re attempting to contact a desk phone via PSTN, you can connect to CUCM extensions by dialing the DID numbers.

However, if you’re seeking a way to call CUCM extensions directly, not through PSTN but by using extensions alone, a trunk connection between your CUCM and satellite provider is necessary. To my knowledge, it’s not possible to establish a direct SIP trunk from CUCM to your Satellite phone to call extensions.

In my experience, there are sites with satellite links where Cisco phones are installed, and these phones register with the CUCM over the satellite link.

Response Signature

If your CUCM is linked to a PSTN network and you’re attempting to contact a desk phone via PSTN, you can connect to CUCM extensions by dialing the DID numbers.

In this case, interface is via PSTN so we will dependent on PSTN connection.

However, if you’re seeking a way to call CUCM extensions directly, not through PSTN but by using extensions alone, a trunk connection between your CUCM and satellite provider is necessary. To my knowledge, it’s not possible to establish a direct SIP trunk from CUCM to your Satellite phone to call extensions.

OK, noted. Will it be possible to map the one cucm phone with satellite phone connection. Satellite phone have output to interface with analog gateway, that gateway shall route a call to extensions via cucm.

In my experience, there are sites with satellite links where Cisco phones are installed, and these phones register with the CUCM over the satellite link.

Yes, but our requirement to interface the iridium satellite phone extension with cucm.

Could you please suggest here?

If we interface one of the iridium extension via gateway and configure that gateway in cucm, will it work like a pstn?

If I understood correctly, the satellite phone has an interface to connect to an analog gateway. Your question is whether this analog gateway can be connected to the CUCM (Cisco Unified Communications Manager), correct?

If your analog gateway supports trunks, you can create a trunk towards CUCM and configure the routing. In theory, this should work. However, I haven’t seen your specific devices or im  unaware of your setup .

Response Signature

My typical setup is like this. We have 3 analog ports on the Iridium below deck device where 2 ports are directly connected to analog phones and 1 ports is connected to analog gateway (typically VG202XM). In this case, one of the the iridium extension is routed to CUCM to make calls vice versa. Can we make calls from any extension of cucm towards iridium phone side or outside of the facility just like PSTN?  

inhamit_0-1714359784573.png

Is the VG202XM registered to your CUCM?

If so, then yes it should be straight forward. The Iridium phones would be configured on CUCM as DNs and you should be able to dial these DNs from your Cisco IP Phones registered to your CUCM.

If your VG202XM is not registered to CUCM, that's more trickier as it would require an integration such as SIP / H323, but from what I can tell there isn't one (table 2, technical specifications, Third-party call control):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/vg-series-gateways/product_data_sheet09186a00801d87f6.html

Worth also mentioning that VG202XM is in it's End-of-Life lifecycle. It seems shortsighted to be starting a new project with hardware that Cisco isn't maintaining or providing bug fixes for anymore:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/vg-series-gateways/select-vg202xm-analog-voice-gateway-eol.html

Thanks. We have gateway registered to CUCM.

If want to make calls outside to facility via iridium, can we do it via dialing code or what will be the best way to make calls outside the facility via iridium?

If the Iridium phones are attached to the VG registered to CUCM and those same phones are added as DNs on this VG, then you should be able to dial outside numbers as per your CUCM dial plan. You would need to ensure you have the necessary patterns configured in CUCM to route calls from these extensions appropriately. 

If the Iridium is separate to your CUCM and they cannot dial an outside line (which would defeat the purpose of having a satellite phone in the first place), that's a conversation you need to have with your vendor who maintain the Iridium setup. 

Thanks. Iridium is separated to CUCM and one of the extension is mapped to VG registered to CUCM. rest of the satellite phones are direct to iridium phone port. Please see below image. 

inhamit_0-1715175796869.png

@Scott Leport 

Thanks. Iridium is separated to CUCM and one of the extension is mapped to VG registered to CUCM. rest of the satellite phones are direct to iridium phone port. Please see below image. 

inhamit_0-1715318195402.png

@Roger Kallberg 

Could you please help me here too?

Sorry I have no experience or insight into this topic.

Response Signature

inhamit
Level 1
Level 1

@Nithin Eluvathingal  Could you please help me here?