Views
Helpful
Replies

EVPN support on IOS XRv 9000

mac87
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know whether EVPN is supported on IOS XRv 9000 and if yes which flavors.

Many thanks!

11 Replies 11

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Version 6.5.3 should be ok.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k-r6-5/lxvpn/configuration/guide/b-l2vpn-cg-asr9000-65x/b-l2vpn-cg-asr9000-65x_chapter_01011.html

6.4.2 also supports evpn.

I don't remember the minimum version but these versions and everything in between or higher supports it.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi,

I think there is a difference here. I am interesting for the IOS XRv 9000, not the IOS XR.

Thanks for your reply!

When I tried to set up MPLS L2VPN's on XRv under VIRL a couple of years ago, I was told that the XRv data plane does not support L2VPN.  You can build the configurations in order to work on the syntax, but it won't actually pass traffic.  That might be the case with EVPN as well.  I suspect it is, but maybe somebody like @smilstea can shed some light on this.

That is correct, there are issues with L2 protocols in virtual environments in hypervisors (this is not a Cisco or XR specific problem). For instance LACP IIRC requires specific NICs in order to work and even then support is limited.

Officially as far as I can find EVPN is not supported in XRv9K. Unofficially there is some limited VPWS EVPN support, but if there is an issue we can't guarantee whether we will fix the problem or whether future EVPN functionality will come to XRv9K.

Is this for learning purposes or an actual network design?

Sam

Hi!

Thanks for your input. I would like to test the EVPN IRB functionality in virtual environemt with IOS XR, but as I understood it is not possible.

Regards!

I'm sorry, I misread.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Is it still true in 2022 ? OR XRV9000 has started to support EVPN and EVPN-IRB?

I still cannot implement iton IOS-XRv

add new post to make all reply you.
thanks 

rui-ferreira
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
As far as I can see this feature EVPN-VPWS is supported on XRd (Release Notes for Cisco IOS XRd, IOS XR Release 7.7.1 - Cisco).

Do you know anything related to SunStone (XRv 9000)?
Cheers, rui

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

XRv9K has a working EoMPLS data-plane, but AFAIK, still no EVPN data-plane.

My guess is that, with the advent of XRd, XRv9K will never get a working EVPN data-plane; XR DE resources for new features in a virtualized environment will go into XRd and the Cisco 8K emulator.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO