cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex shows non-existent unread messages

Dave_Hayward
Level 1
Level 1

The other day a notification appeared on my message icon indicating that I have 1 unread message. However, I have scanned all my spaces and direct messages and I don't have anything unread. The indicator will no go away. I closed Webex, rebooted my PC, nothing will clear the notification.

What else can I try to clean up the unread notification indicator?

Snag_9ae1529.png

 Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

6 Replies 6

jfranchetti
Level 1
Level 1

We get complaints about this issue.   Phantom unread bubbles or numbers.   Sometimes the messages are found buried in Team\Spaces.  They often dont show up when you go to the Shift+Alt+N notifications listing.   We do think it might get worse because we have a pretty tight retention policy, so the purge may make it worse.

Stephanie Knoop
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Did you try to reset the App?  This will remove any cached data and locally configured preferences and may be worth a try.  Avatar > Help > Health Checker > Scroll to bottom and click Reset.

Response Signature

That is a sound concept, but it does not work.  I suspect there is a bug somewhere as there is no quick way to clear this number.  For example, I just reset my Webex Chat and signed back in.  Before the reset, it was showing 6 unread messages next to the chat icon.  After the reset it is showing 7.  I have zero unread messages and no quick and obvious way to clear this number.

I figured it out and it is a little bug even if working as designed.  Basically, Webex Chat seems to hold onto the unread status of messages even when the message has been purged.  I had noticed green dots next to some names before but when I checked there were no messages.  This happens when someone sends you a message which you do not read for some reason before it is purged.  I had to go down my extremely lengthy chat list manually, find the green dots next to the names, right-click on the names and then mark as read.  This process finally cleared the unread marker at the messages icon.  It would be better if you could click on the unread marker and it would bring you to the list of names.  Better yet, unread message flags should be cleared once a message is purged.  

@danielbrennan ,

Sounds like you need to raise a suggestion at https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ then report the link back here so we can vote for it!

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

If you uninstall and reinstall the Webex app. it will then show the actual missed call/messages which were left unread. Now, you cna go and click on the same call/message and then the unread message notification icon disappears..I tried the same ..it Worked