Views
Helpful
Replies

Alternate Telephone Number on Multiple Webex Calling Devices

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Need some help from Webex Calling Experts:

Customer is looking to add their department main number as an alternate line on multiple phones. This line will show up as a second line on these phones. Some users want this line to ring on their device and some doesn't want it to ring. Is this possible in Webex Calling? What are the options?

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

3 Replies 3

kctrey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@Vaijanath Sonvane I apologize that I only answered half of the question. I thought you were just asking about silencing the ringer in that condition.

The better solution for this, rather than using a Pro license for the department, would probably be to create a Call Queue for the department number and assigning the users as Agents. While this doesn't present a unique line key on the phone, it will show the Call Queue (department) name when the call comes in.

With the Group Call Management features coming this month and next, the users will be able to sign out of the Call Queue when they don't want to receive calls on the department number, and they will be able to place calls using any Call Queue (department) Caller ID.

In the meantime, the solution you have with the Pro license shared across devices is a common way that this is done.

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @kctrey 

Yes, it is not easy to achieve what I am looking and Cisco has confirmed that. Like you said, I have created User (wasted Webex Calling Professional License) and assigned Department Main Number to it. Then configured this user as shared line or monitored line on other devices. This is a workaround and not solution. Customer has many department numbers which they would like to operate like this. As far as I know, this is a basic feature of any PBX system and Webex Calling team should look into this. I have opened collaboration idea and hope they can take action on it.

https://ciscocollaboration.ideas.aha.io/ideas/COLLAB-I-17381

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

kctrey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On an MPP phone, the user can go to Settings->User preferences->Ringtone and select the ringtone per line key, including "No ringtone" as an option.

Edit: I am assuming that you are using Shared Line Appearance to get the "main number" on the phone. If the main number is a Hunt Group, Call Queue, or Auto Attendant, you won't be able to do that as easily. The only way to solve that would be to assign the "main number" to a User (Professional license), and then Call Forward All from that user to the Location Feature you want to answer the incoming call.