Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP Port Handshake with Carrier on CBS350 switch

jshapiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I have a 24-port CBS350, and I have a Single Mode fiber service incoming from our carrier connected to one of the SFP+ ports.  The carrier has their equipment set at 1 Gig Full Duplex, and I have set our port's administrative speed to match.  I did not get a link until the carrier toggled their equipment to auto-negotiate and back.  Then my connection lit up.  I recently had to power off and back on the switch, and when it came back up, the circuit was down again.  Cisco does not allow setting that port to auto-negotiate even temporarily, so I could find no other way to wake up the circuit except to call the carrier and have them toggle it again from 1 Gig Full Full Duplex to auto-negotiate and back.  This again woke up the circuit.  

Is there anything I can do at my end on my switch without involving the carrier to make this circuit come up clean?

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Use compatible SFP on the CBS350 : https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npf=946 , and check logs when the connection goes down or up , or (better) configure a syslog server on the CBS350 to get an overview of all possible related events. Also have the ISP check the logs of the connected device which provides the optical link connection.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I use 2 more of the same model transceivers on another CBS350 switch with another carrier in the same co-lo facility, and it doesn't have this handshake issue upon a restart.  Good idea about checking the logs.  I will do that.

There wasn't too much helpful from what I can see in the logs, but here's what I found related to that port right after the restart:

21474836162022-Nov-22 10:57:06Warning%LINK-W-Down:  te1/0/1   

21474836112022-Nov-22 10:57:07Informational%NSFP-I-SFPGibicDetected: te1/0/1 SFP port is present, module type - 10G BASE-LR   

Then after I had the ISP toggle his equipment from forced to 1 Gig to auto-negotiate and back:

21474835942022-Nov-22 11:55:28Informational%LINK-I-Up:  te1/0/1  

The HTML got a little mangled above, and the forum stripped it.  The first log entry above shows that the port was down initially.  Then the next log entry shows the module as detected by the system.  The third entry shows the link back up after the ISP toggled his link negotiation.

- Use latest firmware on the CBS350 (if applicable) , if possible have ISP check logs too.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

My switches are running 3.00.69 right now.  I have 3.2.0.89.  I can try to do that update.  Maybe I'll do one at a time.

I just updated my switch, and with the warm restart, my fiber port came up this time.  I'd say this is solved with the firmware update, but this is a warm restart rather than cold restart, so I don't know if this is a true test or not. It is encouraging that handshake doesn't have to be toggled by the ISP for a warm restart such as firmware update.  I guess I'll try a cold restart next time I go to the co-lo.