cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lack of RV340 Replacement

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

So we are approaching inside 3 months until the last software support date for RV340 and still no replacement.  There were rumors (or maybe just wishes?) about a CBR line replacement but I cannot find anything.  I am not interested in Meraki line ...... am I out of affordable options with Cisco?

24 Replies 24

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

@CoreyP319 - well while not great news it does put the issue to bed for me.  Meraki is not an option I am comfortable with for several reasons.  Guess I am moving on.

@JasonReg416LGK Understandable. I'm hoping for news here, but its been awhile so it might be another while until we get updates.

Should something pop up regarding routers, I'll be sure to post it to the router community.

This week's security advisory:

https://sec.cloudapps.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-sb-rv-afu-EXxwA65V?emailclick=CNSemail

of a remote vulnerability that "could allow an unauthenticated, remote attacker to upload arbitrary files to an affected device." is essentially the deathblow for the series. I had already updated half of my networks (to a different brand), and that notice caused me to update the other half. 

I think there had been a software update for another issue even after the End-Of-Life, but this week's notice said:

"Cisco has not released and will not release software updates to address the vulnerabilities described in this advisory. Cisco RV340, RV340W, RV345, and RV345P Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Routers have entered the end-of-life process."

I hope at some point there's a suitable multi-gigabit upgrade from Cisco, as per my August 4, 2022 wishlist post earlier in this thread. There are a few alternatives out there now, but I don't think any vendor has really knocked it out of the park yet --- I'm still considering options, and sticking with a 1 Gbps max speed multiwan router while I wait for a long-term solution.

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

Just brutal that they are not fixing this.  Guess I need to get my butt in gear and get this router replaced.  

CoreyP319
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey All,

Still no news on this front, but I noticed the link GKToronto had a 404 error, so I'm sharing the notices that are stickied in this community. He also had a really great writeup on what should be included in the next version of the RV, should it come to pass.

Cisco’s security team has released an advisory for:

1. RV340 Series Small Business routers (PSIRT Notice)  Fix for bug CSCwc53007- RV34x GUI not accessible –  The recommended fix is to upgrade to firmware version 1.0.03.29
  2. RV082, RV042, RV016 (PSIRT Notice)  – As explained in the advisory, there will be no fix provided as these products are EOL and are past End of SW Support.  There are no workarounds to address these vulnerabilities, but the advisory outlines steps that can be taken to help mitigate them. 

@GKToronto 's link worked just fine for me.  Clearly states my 340 is now vulnerable even with latest firmware and Cisco will not fix it.   I get that it is EOL but with many of us hanging on for a potential replacement this is not great to say the least.  

Thanks for the reply, it seems to have been my cached version throwing the error. I can understand how its not great to have a replacement.

There's a good chance Meraki Go will fill out the lineup at our end, but that is still being ironed out. I know that line was lacking features like dual WAN. Right now I don't have line of sight to their product roadmap but will share anything as soon as I can. 

GKToronto
Level 1
Level 1

I don't see a 404 error either. Here's a screenshot of the page I linked to:

cisco-rv340-20230203.png

It was my browser causing the issue, my apologies for the error!

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

Well, just to close the loop I have moved to pfSense and a Netgate 6100 device (2 x 1GB Combo ports, 2 x 10GB SFP ports and 4 x 2.5GB RJ45 ports all configurable as WAN or LAN as desired). Getting 1.9GB downloads with pfBlocker and Snort enabled.  Was a bit of a learning curve but there is exceptional help on line and plenty of documentation avail to get you going.  Could not be happier with the results.  

RV340 is now collecting dust on the shelf.  Cisco has now lost me for good I think.