cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP login hangs

Y0tsuya
Level 1
Level 1

Occasionally when logging into a Windows 10 machine the process hangs. Usually caused by my mobile phone not being online for the push notification, but not always. When that happens I’m greeted with a blank screen showing an inactive duo dialog, or this time a “Please Wait” message.

Normally when that happens I just wait until I get home from work and log in from the desktop which will clear whatever caused the freeze. But I’m out-of-town and it will be another week before I get back. What can I do about this?

32 Replies 32

I have the same issue. Connection from Win10 to Windows Server 2019.
“taskkill /F /IM LogonUI.exe” doesn’t help.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

• successfully connect to the server to create a session
  • disconnect
  • connect, do not confirm the DUO check
  • disconnect
  • connect, the DUO window is displayed, but does not react to anything. Session hung.

Workaround: create and apply a domain group policy so that a message is displayed at logon.
“Interactive logon: Message title for users attempting to log on”
“Interactive logon: Message text for users attempting to logon”

pdegnan
Level 1
Level 1

Just wanted to post an update to this thread that this is still occurring as of November 2023.  We're experiencing this issue with an RDS deployment with the Duo Authentication for Windows Logon application installed on all our RDS Session Hosts.

In my research I came across the following Duo Security article : How do I resolve login timeouts in the Duo Prompt while authenticating to Windows Logon? .  I implemented this registry key (set the timeout for 60 second), rebooted the testing host running Duo Auth for Windows and then recreated the issue.  I found that the registry does indeed work as intended, and after waiting 60 seconds the Duo Login window was no longer unfocused/unresponsive, and I was able to once again RDP into the test server using Duo MFA.

I just wanted to post this, because a previous post referenced a registry key for defining a specific timeout for Duo, and I wanted to confirm that it does indeed work

Hope this helps someone

Quick Links