cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RD Web authentication not working

alceryes
Level 1
Level 1

Server 2019, latest DUO RD Web and RD Gateway install.

For some reason, my RDWeb access prompt has stopped working. I preformed a successful reinstall (just next, next, and completed successfully) but no prompt comes up - it just takes me to my published apps and no authentication attempt/bypass/etc is seen in DUO admin. My DUO gateway prompt (when launching an app) is still working. How do I get the RD Web prompt back up and operational?

TIA!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try enabling debug logging for the Duo for RD Web module and then check the Event Viewer to see if that yields any clues.

Duo, not DUO.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try enabling debug logging for the Duo for RD Web module and then check the Event Viewer to see if that yields any clues.

Duo, not DUO.

Thanks for your reply. It was the older TLS version deprecation that was messing it up. However, I now have a new, possible related, issue.
When logging in to RDWeb I am now getting the Duo page again (where I can either do a push or passcode), but push is NOT coming up on my phone. The Duo admin console sees that I'm trying to push but it never gets to my phone. I can enter the passcode and get in though. The weird part is that the second Duo push from the RD Gateway (when I launch a remoteapp) DOES get through to my phone. I have the two Duo prompts to make sure that even local users have to Duo.
Is this definitely a Duo or my phone issue since the admin console sees the push attempt or could it still be something with IIS since the second Duo push (RD Gateway) works?

EDIT - It's working now. Not sure if it was just my phone being in a funk or the reinstall of the Duo RDWeb app and reboot of server, but it's now working fine. It's prompting properly in my Duo app for both RDWeb and RDGateway access.

I'm glad the push issue resolved itself!

Duo, not DUO.

I've turned on debugging and I've captured a couple of events in the Duo area in event viewer. Kind of shows that Duo is monitoring the logon to RDWeb. I'll not post them here yet but one line did catch my eye "Authentication not required".

I've also just created a new domain user and they're not prompted to set-up Duo when logging onto RD Web. I'll add them into Duo now to see if that makes any difference.

Later... didn't make any difference. User has account in Duo (test.user) but not prompted during logon to RD Web.

It's been like this for a while. My Duo using customers are small so we've never worried too much as gateway is still protected.

>It was the older TLS version deprecation that was messing it up.

Can you please let me know what you did to resolve this? Duo integration with RD Web isn't prompting on any of my client installations but fortunately when they launch the RDP it does work.

I did read all the documentation about TLS depreciation - which to be honest was clear as mud! It never made it clear whether the issue is on the client or the server.

TLS 1.0 and 1.1 were enabled on the web server so I disabled those on both server and client - and rebooted. Duo still not prompting when I logon to the website. Does Duo only kick in for new accounts?

9KbssBW[1].png

I also pushed the website through the SSL scanner and it passed. Here is the full report as a PDF:

https://maltsystems-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/rob_nicholson_maltsystems_co_uk/EWr7lQ9y0V1IvQMWERPTkBABUksrJ9jqDZK1ayOTQk5mPA?e=O51v7R 

On vaca. Can't dive in at the moment.

It was all regedits - about 4 of them. Dr. G got me the correct ones after about an hour of searching. If I remember correctly, disabling TLS 1.0 and 1.1 and forcing the server to use TLS 1.2. Maybe also forcing IIS to only use TLS 1.2. Just keep track of your regedit changes (backup the key) and test. Also, rebooting the server was mandatory in between changes. IISreset isn't enough..

Thanks - will have a look when I get a bit of free time. Enjoy holiday

Quick Links