Views
Helpful
Replies

Inline password reset for RRAS VPN, need clarifications

Alen1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Preparing to deploy DUO MFA for a remote access VPN (SSTP) based on MS RRAS.
Going to install DUO Authentication Proxy on the RRAS VPN server (member of our AD domain), primary authentication method will be Active Directory, planning authentication between the Proxy and AD to be SSPI.

I have read a lot of documentation and it’s still not clear to me, in the above conditions, when DUO Authentication Proxy is going to be a domain joined server and the authentication protocol to be SSPI, is anything else required to be configured to support expired domain accounts’ passwords change during the VPN connection to RRAS server?

Thank you.

18 Replies 18

Alen1
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you DuoKristina!

Today I re-read some documents, and realized that my problems were mostly caused by the fact I was always keeping RRAS in my head, although articles referenced in the RRAS related document were more global and some even did not consider RRAS at all but were covering other aspects of DUO MFA.
I have much more understanding now.

Only one simple question left unanswered: is PAP protected when using IKE v2 VPN like with SSTP and L2TP over IPSec?

Alen1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

A quick question, reading DUO AP reference guide, in the auth_type configuration section I see this:

If the host value is a domain controller with hostname , the proxy will use Kerberos if an LDAP Service Principal Name (SPN) exists for that target DC as ldap/hostname . If no such SPN exists, the proxy falls back to NTLM.

If the host value is an IP address, the proxy will use NTLM.

I guess NTLM2 is meant here, in both places, right, not the original NTLM v1?!
Also is there a quick way to check if ldap/hostname SPN exists or not?

Thank you.

Yes, ntlm2, the default type.

You can see an object’s SPN in ADUC or with setspn. Microsoft’s documentation is the best reference for this.

Duo, not DUO.

Thank you very much!
You are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Quick Links