cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup problems in VMS

hanson.j
Level 1
Level 1

We are having difficulty getting things set up. Our Allowed Hosts and Internal Networks settings do not stay configured, and the sensor signature level does not always show the correct signature level. What could we be doing wrong? I'm really getting frustrated, and have to wonder if this software works, but it appears that some folks are having some level of success. Does anyone know of a User Group in the Minneapolis area?

4 Replies 4

pcomeaux
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have run into the Sensor Signature Level not working properly in IDS MC and needed to apply some updates to the IDS MC for it to be resolved.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/mgmt-ctr-ids

Patch CSCsa16682

Seems like to addresses 2 of the 3 for sure.

Have you tried the patches already and are still having these issues?

Let us know as the IDS Team helps answer these posts, too.

thanks

peter

Peter, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have applied patches CSCsa16682-3 and CSCee60913-1. CiscoWorks version 2.2 When looking at the "Management Center for IDS Sensors (About link)" page, it shows Version 1.2.3

I had a problem in the past where my IDS MC and sensor were at diff ver and therefore could not communicate properly. It was when I first set up, so don't remember how I fixed.

Steve

You probably uploaded the correct signature .zip file to the ...\MDC\updates folder on the server, and then applied the IDS...Sxxx.zip file under the Configuration/Updates section on the server. Unfortunately that is not a solution to my current problem.

We may resort to using only the Security Monitoring portion of the VMS module, and use the IDS Device Manager on the sensor for the sensor config. This way we don't have to bother with the MC portion of the VMS. This should work for the time being, but if we get into too many sensors, it would be easier to have centralized management for all the sensors.