cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why dedicated IPS?

CSCO10662744_2
Level 1
Level 1

Now that FTD & FirePOWER service module are available on NGFW platform, why & when would I need a dedicated IPS?

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just have one NGFW that can perform multiple functions, instead of a dedicated IPS appliance, that can only do IPS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Reasons for needing a separate dedicated appliance for IPS are fewer but still exist. Here are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head:

The integrated FTD appliances have almost all of the IPS features but not all of the ASA features. Customers needing 100% of both may want to keep the functions separate. Also some features like hardware bypass are only available in limited cases on the FTD platform.

An ASA with FirePOWER service module has (pretty much) all of each feature set but the FirePOWER module is software only (except for 5585-X) and thus incurs performance penalty on the platform (reduced overall throughput).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Reasons for needing a separate dedicated appliance for IPS are fewer but still exist. Here are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head:

The integrated FTD appliances have almost all of the IPS features but not all of the ASA features. Customers needing 100% of both may want to keep the functions separate. Also some features like hardware bypass are only available in limited cases on the FTD platform.

An ASA with FirePOWER service module has (pretty much) all of each feature set but the FirePOWER module is software only (except for 5585-X) and thus incurs performance penalty on the platform (reduced overall throughput).

Thank you Marvin for the reply.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card